Fitness & Health

Photo: CC, Will Powell.

During the school year, it’s all too easy to let your eating habits slip. To help fight this, the Fulcrum has some essential recipes to keep you full and fit all year long.

Here’s a healthy twist on one of my all-time favourite guilty pleasures—bread pudding. Healthy food can often have the reputation for being tedious to prepare, or just plain unappetizing. That in mind, here’s a recipe that will soothe your sweet tooth without ruining your diet plan.

It’s super cheap to make and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare, so it’s perfect for those long study sessions as it comes in handy for a snack or dessert. Best of all, each slice is under 300 calories!

Ingredients:

6 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 6-10 slices)

1 cup evaporated fat-free milk

3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk

1/3 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

1 cup raspberries (optional)

Directions:

Step 1:  Preheat oven to 350°.

Step 2: To prepare bread pudding, arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° F for eight minutes or until lightly toasted.

Step 3: Combine evaporated milk, regular milk, sugar, bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk. Add bread cubes. Let stand 20 minutes, occasionally pressing on bread to soak up milk.

Step 4: Spoon bread mixture into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Spread raspberries around the baking pan. Spoon remaining half of bread mixture over raspberries. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Feel free to add your favourite sauce, syrup or honey to the bread pudding!