Basketball

Photo: Greg Mason/Gee-Gees

“It’s our time to win a national championship”

Ankit Chaudhary would pick up his first points as a Gee with a couple minutes left in the second quarter of Friday night’s home opener when he drained a three from just above the left break. The near-sellout crowd at Montpetit showed the first-year Gee some love for his first bucket, but that buzz was quiet compared to the roar they offered him a few minutes later.

The 6’1 point guard picked up the ball on an inbound with four second left in the first half, took a couple dribbles, and hoisted up a prayer from half court that sank smoothly through the netting to close out the first half, giving the Gee-Gees a 53-32 lead over the Windsor Lancers that would ultimately prove insurmountable.

The fourth-year guard transferred to the Gee-Gees after spending a season with the University of West Florida — and two before that with the TMU Bold — and Friday was his first chance to endear himself to the U of O crowd.

“I had to just get my nerves out at first … I wasn’t even satisfied with myself and how I was playing,” the Toronto native said about his first half to that point. “I made it and I just kind of had no reaction — but it was a crazy shot, definitely going to watch that later.”

Joining Chaudhary as a newcomer making an immediate impact with the team was true freshman Owen Kenney, who joined the team from the renowned Orangeville Prep Basketball Academy. The 6’7 Kenney showed his potential as both a force in the paint — with two dunks in the game — and also as a perimeter threat, adding two threes on six attempts, building upon an impressive preseason.

“He’s just a really special kid,” Gee-Gees head coach James Derouin said of the 18-year-old, agreeing that true freshmen don’t come around all that often in Ontario — especially ones of the Barrie native’s caliber.

“When we signed him, we knew we had something really special,” the longtime bench boss continued. “Orangeville did a great job of developing him and putting him up against some really good competition and you can see how much that helps him translate right into the university game.”

While the newcomers were certainly impressive, the Gee-Gees also boast an impressive crop of returnees who seemed to relish their returns to Montpetit. Forward Justin Ndjock-Tadjore led the way with 20 points on 5-of-8 shooting, which included 3-of-4 three-point shooting.

2023-24 OUA First Team All-Star and fan favourite Brock Newton finished with 17 points on an efficient 7-of-9 from the field, while Jacques Mélaine-Guemeta rounded out the quintet of Gees in double digits.

The Gee-Gees are coming off back-to-back bronze medals in the national championship, and Chaudhary agreed that expectations are high. “Championship or bust,” said the Toronto native. “It’s our time to win the national championship, and if we bring that energy every day, why can’t we do it?”

Derouin took a moment to soak in Montpetit’s atmosphere before providing his thoughts on the home crowd. “It was a good buzz in the gym, right from warmups … once our guys locked in a little bit in the second quarter and the crowd got behind [them] — that was the ball game right there.”

The Lancers didn’t exactly come into the game as a formidable opponent for the Gees, as they limped to a 5-17 conference record a year ago — though their results included close games against contenders like the U of O. The team’s game a year ago resulted in a somewhat closer 81-68 Gee-Gees win.

Tomorrow night though, the Gees will be in tough against a Western Mustangs squad who finished 16-6 and advanced to the OUA’s semifinals. “It’s another opportunity to get better,” said Chaudhary. “We keep growing every game.” $7 student tickets are available here for the 8 p.m. start — or come to watch the women’s game for a single admission at 6 p.m.