Basketball

basketball
Photo: Spencer Colby/Gee-Gees

The team is coming off an incredible season with a record of 19 wins and only three losses

The Gee-Gees men’s basketball season will be underway this Friday, when they welcome the Windsor Lancers to Montpetit at 8 p.m. The team is stronger than ever as head coach James Derouin heads into his 14th season with the squad with a new addition of Michael Parsons as the lead assistant coach replacing the outgoing Mike L’Africain. 

The team is coming off an incredible season with a record of 19 wins and only three losses. They look to eventually redeem themselves in the OUA playoffs, after being knocked out in last year’s quarterfinals against Brock University in a blowout game 81-58. 

The team won the bronze medal in the U Sports Final 8 Championship in a game against Dalhousie University 91-83. Ambitions are high this year with key returning players like guard Khalifa Koulamallah with 226 points on the season, and forwards Justin Ndjock-Tadjore and Brock Newton who were the teams top scorers combining for a staggering 572 points. 

The dime artist, master of assists Dragan Stajic returns for his fifth year with the squad, the leader of an important group of veterans who hold down the team and mentor new additions to the roster.  

The powerhouse team hosts their home opening game tonight against the Windsor Lancers, and will host the Western Mustangs on Saturday before hitting the road to take on York and Algoma. Get your tickets here