Gee-Gees

ottawa's line goes up against queen's line
Photo: Greg Mason/Gee-Gees.

“In the playoffs, you need your veteran players with the ability to make plays”

In a rematch that seemed like déjà vu, the U of O football team travelled to Kingston to take on the Queen’s Gaels for the second straight weekend. This time, it would be for an OUA East quarter-final playoff matchup. In another low-scoring affair, the Gees just couldn’t break through. The unusual game saw 13 punts, four rouges, four field goals, a safety, and just one touchdown.

Having been without starting quarterback Ben Maracle since the first game of the season, and running back Amilcar Polk since Oct. 14, the squad was missing their offensive firepower. Rookie quarterback Josh Janssen threw for 172 yards but completed just 13 of 24 passes. Returner Charles Asselin was thrust into the starting back role for the second straight week, and although performed well, couldn’t break through for a big run and received just 11 touches.

Coach Marcel Bellefeuille admitted the team was missing their veterans. “In the playoffs, you need your veteran players with the ability to make plays,” said the head coach. “Especially because games come down to a handful of plays. We had six very good opportunities to score – including one which was called back. And we just could not make the plays in those crucial times. Having said that, our younger players will learn from this and improve.”

Queen’s broke through first, as backup quarterback Anthony Soles got in the end zone about halfway through the first quarter on a short run play. After that, it was all unconventional when it came to scoring. Although Queen’s kicker Tyler Mullan missed three out of four field goals he attempted, two made it through the end zone for singles.

Campbell Fair knocked in three field goals on four attempts and added a rouge of his own. Fair punted eight times in the game, with a long of 56. On the defensive end, Patrick Cumberbatch once again shone. He racked up 6.5 tackles, good for second on the team (behind Kevin Victome’s 8.5), and added a pick.

The team looked a lot different than the one that took down Waterloo in their opener 29-10. “In a season with up to 13 starters out at one point, and 8 of those out for the playoff game, I am excited for all the younger players that got much-needed experience in big games” Bellefeuille added. “When many of the starters come back, we will be a much better team because of this year’s experience.”

It was not the season anyone around the Gee-Gees envisioned. The team lost Maracle in the very first quarter of that game against Waterloo, and the team’s fans knew that just like Aaron Rodgers and the New York Jets, this was a worst-case scenario. But their 6-2 2022 was not a fluke. This team has talent. And they’ll be back healthy next year.

Bellefeuille added “I am extremely pleased with the process and growth of our program this season. The student-athletes handled adversity very well. The future is bright.”