Womens Rugby season opener 2023
Photo: Matthew Osborne/Fulcrum.

“Everyone seems very excited for the season to start”

The Gee-Gees women’s rugby team faced off against their rival, the Laval Rouge et Or on Sept. 2 at Matt Anthony Field. The game was a heavily contested one, but in the end, the U of O fell short to Laval 14-12.

Do not let the loss take away from the effort, as it took the very last play of the game for the Rouge et Or to defeat the Gee-Gees. It was a strongly fought contest where the players gave it their all, but Laval was able to pull ahead,  proving why they are the reigning National Champions. 

Gee-Gees players Ketsia Kamba and Ngozi Mosindi scored on their tries putting up 10 points combined for the team, with Jaime-Lee Walker putting up two points on her try. Laval was able to counter-attack these efforts effectively to make it such an intense match. 

Rouge et Or players Cécile Leclerc and Marie Laura Choquette were able to score on their attempts, earning a combined five points each. Audrey Champagne was able to secure four more points on two conversions, which was crucial to the team’s victory.

It was an exciting match to watch and be a part of as a student, even though it did not go our way in the end. It was 101-week and there were a lot of activities around for the students to do. There were ice cream and mocktails for the students to have as they watched the match. There were also a lot of water games for students to compete in before the match started. 

Darragh Armstrong is a first-year nursing student who attended the game and said how fun the environment was to be in. “There was a lot of good school spirit all around, and the energy that everyone brought was really good. Everyone seems very excited for the season to start and we will cheer for our Gee-Gees every step of the way.”