CIS

Victory over Windsor Lancers points to promising Cinderella story

Photo credit: Courtesy Elisa Mitton

The Gee-Gees football team made the long trek to Windsor on Nov. 1 to not only win their first playoff game, but also get reparations for a match they needed to win weeks ago

The 10th-ranked Gees shook off their previous loss to the Lancers and the difficulty of making the longest road trip in Ontario collegiate football, to make a statement that they are serious contenders with a resounding 46-29 victory in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) quarterfinal.

The Gee-Gees put points up early and often, despite falling behind by a safety in the first few minutes of the game. The Lancers’ time on top was short as the Gees stormed into the end zone on a pass from Derek Wendel.

Before the half, Windsor scored once more on offence and once on defence following an Ottawa fumble. Fortunately, the Gees were able to punch in three field goals and tally another passing TD.

The game was all but over for the Lancers as they kept fighting throughout the game, despite Wendel’s rushing touchdown to open the second half.

Although the lead was uncomfortable at times, it was never truly in doubt as the Gees’ defence smothered the home team all game and the offence picked apart Windsor’s linebackers and secondary. The Gees secured their first playoff win since 2010 on a short run from Bryce Vieira.

Quarterback Wendel posted 264 yards through the air and 45 on the ground with three total touchdowns. All-Canadian linebacker Nick Lecour racked up over 13 tackles to continue his stellar season.

The team will have a short time to prepare for a massive rematch with the first-seeded McMaster Marauders in Hamilton on Saturday, Nov. 8. A win in the semifinals would give the Gees a berth in the Yates Cup final for the Ontario championship.

The Yates Cup winner will then host the Atlantic Canada champion at the Vanier Cup national championship. The Gee-Gees can also expect a rise in the last official national rankings this week following their strong showing, as well as unprecedented losses from both the number one Laval Rouge et Or and number two Calgary Dinos.

You can watch the semifinal matchup on OUA.tv at 1 p.m. to cheer on the Gees.

Read more: OUA.tv Let us watch out athletes