Soccer makes trip to Kingston, draws Queen’s, blows out RMC

Photo: Marta Kierkus

The Gee-Gees continued their impressive form in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East women’s soccer division, coming out undefeated this past weekend. The Gees earned a hard-fought point in a 0-0 draw with the Queen’s Gaels, before claiming all three points with a 6-0 thrashing of the RMC Paladins.

With these results, the Gee-Gees have won seven of their first ten games this season along with  some well-deserved prestige for their current second-place national ranking. The Gees currently sit atop the East conference with 24-points from their first 10 games (7-0-3). However going into Sunday’s game against the RMC some worries had begun to creep in with supporters as the Gees had failed to score in their last two games.

The Gee-Gees were determined to dispel any of these pre-game jitters and got off to a quick start with the go-ahead goal coming as early as the first minute. After the first half ended the 1-0, the Gee-Gees completed the rout by adding a remarkable five goals in the second half.

There were five different scorers in the game. Pilar Khoury led the scoring with two goals to bring her season total to nine in just 10 games.

“It was a much better performance,” head coach Steve Johnson told Sports Services. Next up for the Gee-Gees are two home games against Ryerson University and the University of Toronto on the Oct. 10 and 11 respectively. Both games are scheduled for a 1 p.m. kickoff at the Matt Anthony Field.

Women’s rugby continues tour de force in win over Carabins

The seemingly unstoppable Gee-Gees women’s rugby team extended their undefeated season with a dominant 33-7 win over conference contender Université de Montréal Carabins.

The Gees have now won six games in a row and looked in good form on Saturday afternoon as they handed a loss to the only other undefeated team in the division. A strong wind in their favour only added to a blistering start by the Gees as they scored 26 of their 33 points in the first half.

The win was supported by a sturdy defence in the second half, with centres Dria Bennet and Ashley Strike producing standout performances.

“Our defence was very good in the second half,” said head coach Jen Boyd to Sports Services. “We’ve been getting too many penalty yards in past games, but we were much more disciplined today.”

Danielle Erdelyi scored three tries, while Danarae Sommerville and Emma Sandstrom grabbed one a piece.

The win means that the Gee-Gees have consolidated their position as the number-one women’s rugby team in the country, a position that they hold for the first time in the program’s 22-year history. The Gees have now won 15 Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec division games in a row.

Next up for the Gee-Gees is a potentially tough matchup against McGill in the final division game of the season on Oct. 18 at Matt Anthony Field. McGill has had a mixed season, with two wins and three defeats, but are sure to fight hard to stave off the rampant Gees.

Before their last regular season game, the women’s rugby team has an exhibition game with fourth-ranked St. Francis Xavier (5-1) to attend to on Oct. 9 at Matt Anthony Field.