Fitness & Health

Photo: Fulcrum.

Ten tips for safe alcohol consumption

Depending on who you ask, alcohol is a poison or a tonic. The merits of drinking have been debated for centuries and will probably be debated long after our lifetimes. For most, drinking is a social activity.

But the facts are simple. In 2020, a Canadian study found that 84 per cent of college and university students drank alcohol within the past 12 months, and 60 per cent had engaged in “heavy drinking” (defined as four drinks on one occasion for females and five for males in one sitting) within the past month. Students, on average, drink more than the rest of the population.

Therefore, abstinence is not an effective strategy for mitigating the risks of alcohol use at university. And yes, there are risks. Most students drink well in excess of the Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addictions guideline of two drinks per week.

These guidelines are aimed at preventing two different types of harm that alcohol use perpetuates. The first is acute harm. This covers things like violence, driving under the influence, impulsive actions, risky behaviour, and alcohol poisoning.

The second is long-term harm. Cancer risks rise with an increase in drinks per week. The main types of cancer associated with drinking are female breast cancer, liver cancer, mouth cancer, throat cancer, among many others.

There are so many other risks associated with drinking, including roofied drinks, mental health issues, addiction, and further drug use. While not encouraging drinking or binge drinking, if you do choose to partake, I have compiled a list of tips to keep you healthier, happier, and safer this year.

Tip #1: Put the keys away and have a backup plan.

It’s important to have a backup plan if things change when you are out drinking. You’d much rather wake up on a friend’s couch than at the police station in the morning. Driving under the influence, while being morally reprehensible, is extremely dangerous for you, others, and your wallet.

Tip #2: Mix in a water. No, seriously.

Although it has been debated if drinking water helps you avoid hangovers, it will still help you on your journey to not feeling like a corpse the next day. Drinking before, during, and after alcohol will help settle your stomach, help you pace yourself, and re-hydrate you.

Tip #3: Tone down the sugar intake.

Again, while it has been debated if sugar actually causes stronger hangovers, it is still important to avoid sugary drinks for a few reasons. Sugar can cause a hangover of its own, with similar symptoms to an alcohol-induced hangover. Sugar can also cause you to drink far more alcohol (and in turn, sugar) than you intend to, because it masks the taste of alcohol. You wouldn’t drink multiple cans of Coke late at night. So don’t mix multiple cans of Coke with rum late at night.

Tip #4: Keep an eye on your friends.

Only drink in good company. Keep a trusted friend around so that you can keep an eye on each other, especially at the bar or club. If you see a friend overdoing it, make sure they drink water and have something to eat. Have an exit plan, don’t leave anyone’s drink unattended, and only get in the car with a sober driver.

Tip #5: Don’t pressure people into drinking.

There are all kinds of reasons why someone may choose to abstain from drinking, be it. Let them be, don’t make it a big deal, and most important of all, still invite them to your social activities.

Tip #6: Don’t drink on an empty stomach.

It’s well known that everyone absorbs alcohol at a different rate. Age, sex, weight, and tolerance levels are the usual suspects. But stomach content also has a lot to do with it. Food in your stomach helps to absorb the alcohol taken in, and therefore your body is able to deal with it in a more manageable way. Alcohol can also irritate the stomach lining, so a layer of food offers a good layer of protection.

Tip #7: Take your vitamins.

If you have spent a lot of time in crowded bars and house parties, you will know they aren’t the most sanitary place. And midterm season is no time to be stuck in your dorm room deathly sick. Along with washing your hands, sleeping well, and eating fruits and vegetables, vitamins are a good way to minimize the risks of sickness. Regular vitamin C usage can shorten colds and lessen symptoms. Vitamin D supplementation can help prevent upper respiratory infections.

Tip #8: Figure out your limits.

Nothing is worse than throwing up the dining hall’s sometimes-edible food in an unfamiliar toilet (though on the record, I would have no way to confirm this). Don’t overdo it at the bar or an unfamiliar house. It doesn’t leave a very good impression.

Tip #9: Alcohol won’t resolve your problems.

If you’re looking for an answer at the bottom of the bottle, you’re not going to find it. Your problems are not going to simply disappear just because you forget about them. In fact, there’s a chance you’ll wake up with a new set of problems.

Tip #10: “I’m never drinking again” is probably a lie.

When you wake up with a vicious hangover, and swear off the juice for good, you’re probably going to change your mind. Maybe even within the next day or two. It takes time to learn good responsible drinking skills. You will probably still have some rough nights, and likely even a few 3 a.m. visits to Three Brothers. But listen to your body – it will know when you’ve had too much. If you lose count of how much you’ve drank – you’ve likely had enough.