CIS

Back to the drawing board for the Gees

Photo courtesy of Marta Kierkus

Entering the game with a 2-0 record and sitting at number eight in the Ontario University Athletic (OUA) standings, the Gee-Gees had a disappointing game against the number seven Guelph Gryphons in Ottawa on Sept. 13.

With a total of 384 yards in offensive play and about 35 minutes of total ball possession, the Gryphons overpowered the Gee-Gees, winning with a score of 42-7.

Despite a game full of opportunities and open players, as Gee-Gees head coach Jamie Barresi described it, the game was difficult to endure for the lack of offensive plays and rainy conditions.

Indeed, the first quarter saw countless opportunities for the Gees offense to strike. Yet with four turnovers in their favour—three fumbles and one interception—the garnet and grey couldn’t make it to the red zone. It was clear the team didn’t have the momentum from the start.

“From the opening kickoff, we didn’t get the ball kicked properly,” said Barresi. “It went right down the middle, and they had a big return on it.”

With less than a minute on the clock in the first quarter, the Gryphons scored the first touchdown with a nine-yard pass to wide receiver James Ingram. In the second quarter, the Gryphons forced the Gee-Gees inside their own 10-yard line, which allowed them to make their second touchdown. Quite impressively, the Gryphons followed the touchdown with two field goals two minutes apart, and kept the Gees at zero for another quarter.

It wasn’t until five minutes into the fourth that the Gee-Gees were able to get on the board. With a three-yard run from quarterback Derek Wendel, they were able to set the score to 39-7. The Gryphons answered with another field goal to seal their fate.

With 17 penalties accounting for 141 yards, only one red-zone scoring opportunity, 228 yards in offensive play, and what seemed like barely 15 minutes of control—and that’s being generous—week three was disappointing for both Gee-Gees players and fans.

“We’re used to throwing for 450 yards a game and that wasn’t happening here today,” said Barresi.  “I take full blame for this. We will be better next week.”

Guelph’s defence was spot on, and quarterback Jazz Lindsay was consistent, while the Gee-Gees offense couldn’t seem to complete.

“We were easy for them to defend today,” said Barresi.

The Gee-Gees will meet up with the rival Carleton Ravens for the greatly anticipated Panda Game at TD Place on Sept. 20 at 1 p.m.

“Our team has a lot of pride,” said Barresi. “They will be anxious to get at it … when we get back to practice.”