Photo by Marc Jan

Women’s hockey loses two exhibition games

Marc Jan | Fulcrum Staff

Despite losing two consecutive exhibition games, the Gee-Gees women’s hockey team is looking forward to the season ahead.

After falling behind two goals in the first third, the women brought their Sept. 28 game against Nipissing University to a 2–2 tie in the third period—only to lose 2–1 during the shootout.

Along the same lines, the Gees led by two in the first period of their Sept. 29 game against York University, but lost the lead by the end of the second period. After tying the game 3–3 in the final period, the Gees lost again by one goal in the shootout.

Third-year forward Carling Chown said the team will have to work on shootouts. “The goaltending was great, but they are something we need to take to practice,” she said.

Chown nearly tied the Sept. 28 game during shoot-outs, but was denied the goal when the puck was deflected off the goalpost.

Goaltender Cassie Seguin said the second game was exciting.

Just shy of 16 seconds left on the clock, the Gees managed to pull together a tie-scoring goal that electrified the rink.

Gees’ head coach Evola said there are a few things to adjust with the rookies, but nothing magical—the team is working well together.

“We want to be tiring; we want to be first on that puck, to give out early checks, so that we can allow ourselves fifty attempts on the goal like we did today,” said Yanick Evola after the second game.

He says he has a good feeling about the team going into this year’s season.

The women’s hockey season will begin Oct. 18 at the University of Montreal.

Photo by Marta Kierkus

Women’s rugby fails to tackle Concordia

Marc Jan | Fulcrum Staff

The women’s rugby team led an almost flawless season up until its game on Sept. 27 when the Gee-Gees gave their first loss of the season to the Concordia Stingers.

“I think it was quite obvious why we lost today. We just did not make tackles like we usually do and that is what killed us,” said Gee-Gees head coach Jennifer Boyd.

The reason behind this reluctance may have been first-year second row Afton Maisonneuve’s injury in the first half.

The Gees couldn’t put up a point in the first half, falling behind with a score of 35–0.

“As soon as the injury happened, I made a point to the girls to remain focused. I told them not to concentrate on our teammate’s injury and instead try to just win the game for her,” said fifth-year Gees captain Natasha Watcham-Roy.

In the second half, the team put forth a good effort by adding 17 points to the scoreboard. The points were a combination of tries by centre Erin Van Gulik, fly half Natalie Palmer, and a conversion by fullback Irene Patrinos.

The game ended with a score of 62–17.

Gee-Gees spoil York’s homecoming

Mackenzie Gray | Fulcrum Staff

It was a strong showing by second-string quarterback Derek Wendel and receiver Vincent Campbell that propelled the Gee-Gees men’s football team to a convincing 46–16 win over the York Lions.

Down 7–0 in the first quarter, coach Jamie Barresi switched from starting quarterback Aaron Colbon to Wendel, which sparked the offence. Wendel went 18 catches for 27 throws, with 297 throwing yards and four touchdowns. One of those touchdowns was a 41-yard bomb to Campbell, but Campbell’s return game is what made him dangerous. Campbell returned a 45-yard punt to York’s end zone for a touchdown, which contributed to his 177 return yards.

Unable to get their offence going, York was stymied by an Ottawa defence that caught its first two interceptions of the year, courtesy of fifth-year players Matt Bond and Ty Rusznak.