Men’s basketball maintain possession of their winning streak

The men’s basketball team continued their undefeated streak by beating the Brock Badgers and the McMaster Marauders Nov. 15–16. On Nov. 15, the garnet and grey scored three times as many points as their opponents in the first quarter and never looked back. Moe Ismail scored 20 points with three rebounds in 21 minutes of play. On Nov.16 Johnny Berhanemeskel scored a career high 38 points as the Gee-Gees beat McMaster 100–85 in their third triple-digit game in past six games played.

The Gee-Gees remain undefeated and are heading home Nov. 22 – 23 for showdowns against Waterloo and Laurier. The Gee-Gees should move ahead to number two with their 6–0 record in the Canadian Interuniversity Sports rankings as second-ranked Alberta suffered a one-point loss to Brandon University. The U of O and Carleton are the two best-ranked teams in the country.

Women’s basketball narrowly maintain their lead

The Gee-Gees have been playing a strong season so far with their 5–1 record. They narrowly escaped with two wins against Brock University and McMaster University on Nov. 15–16. On Nov. 15, the Gees maintained their advantage against the Badgers with their offensive rebounds and number of shots. But the Gees accumulated too many fouls, giving away 21 free throws, 13 of which were converted into points. They snatched the win from the Brock Badgers with a 54–51 game.

On Nov. 16, the women faced a similar challenge against the McMaster Marauders. Although the Gees got an early lead, the points were tight, particularly in the third and fourth quarter. With less than three minutes left in the final quarter, the points stood at 59–59.

Women’s volleyball back on the winning road

After a series of turnovers and missed jump shots, second-year forward Catherine Traer stole the ball with just 21 seconds on the clock. After a foul, Traer sunk her first free throw with three seconds left, ending the game 60–59. The two victories gave the Gee-Gees a step up in the CIS rankings, moving them to the ninth spot.

The Gee-Gees faced the Waterloo Warriors and the Guelph Gryphons on Nov. 15–16 and racked up another two wins. They lost their first set 21–25 against Waterloo, but bounced back to shut them down with three solid sets of 25–12, 25–16, and 25–19, ending the game 3–1. In their match against the Gryphons, the Gee-Gees narrowly held the lead as they traded points with the other team but never led by more than four points. While both teams maintained around 40 attempts each set, the Gees’ superior hit percentage backed by fourth-year captain Stephanie Theiler and fourth-year right-hitter Kelsie English’s 12 and 14 digs led them to victory. Each set was won 25–23, 25–23, and 25–22. The women’s team rounded off the weekend with their 7–1 record, boasting a perfect 4–0 home record. Hopefully they can maintain this flawless home record, as they will face York University on Nov. 23—the only team they’ve lost to so far on their home court.