Maclaine Chadwick | Fulcrum Staff

AS THE REGULAR season for fall varsity sports starts to wind down, games are becoming more and more crucial for the Gees. Check out how your teams fared over the Thanksgiving long weekend, and when you can catch their next home game.

FOOTBALL 

For the first time this season, the Gees football team pulled off a win. Losing coach Gary Etcheverry didn’t faze the football team, who shut down the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 34-6 on Saturday, Oct. 6.

Fourth-year running back Brendan Gillanders was responsible for all three touchdowns, while kicker Matt Falvo scored the remaining points. Other standout performances include fifth-year quarterback Aaron Colbon, who threw 198 passing yards, and fifth-year receiver Maxime Mireault, who ran 87 receiving yards.

The victory over Toronto means the Gees have a shot at the final playoff spot, provided they win the next two games. The Gees take on the University of Waterloo Warriors this Saturday, Oct. 13 at 1 p.m. at Beckwith Park.

SOCCER 

The women’s soccer team won both games they played over the long weekend, beating the Laurentian University Voyageurs 3-0 on Saturday and the Nipissing University Lakers 2-0 on Sunday.

Saturday saw an excellent demonstration of the Gee-Gees’ strong defence, who only allowed four shots on goaltender Cynthia Leblanc. Goals were scored by Gillian Baggot, Vanessa MacMillan, and Julia Francki.

Sunday’s game marked a special achievement for striker Pilar Khoury, who scored both goals against the Lakers. This brings her season total up to 11 goals scored, which is a Gee-Gee and Ontario University Athletics East record. The Gee-Gees take on the Carleton University Ravens at Matt Anthony Field this Friday, Oct. 12 at 6 p.m.

RUGBY 

The women’s rugby team pulled off an easy win over the Bishop’s University Gaiters on Friday, Oct. 5, finishing with a final score of 46-5.

The Gees put a number on their side of the board right away, scoring within the first three minutes of the game. Standout performances included 15 points scored by Natasha Watcham-Roy and excellent defensive tackles by Simone Savary.

Friday’s game marked the last home game for the rugby team, whose final regular season game will be played on Sunday, Oct. 13 at the Université de Sherbrooke.