Gee-Gees

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The women’s rugby team finished off the first week of school with a bang, defeating league rookies the University of Montreal Carabins 44-14 on Sept. 7.

The Gee-Gees were quick off the mark, building a large lead by the end of the first half with the help of a strong defence which created a slew of turnovers. Showing no mercy on the newcomers, the Gee-Gees pulled off a 15-0 lead before the first half was over. Last year’s Most Valuable Player, Sarah Meng, demonstrated exceptional technique and strength with her tackles, many of which brought possession back to the hometown team. Natasha Watcham-Roy, one of the early scorers of the game,  excelled at using gaps in the Carabin’s defence to the Gee’s advantage.

The Carabins came back strong at the start the second half, making one try and a field goal before the Gee-Gees could get back into the game. After the subsequent kick, Lydia Kedney- Bolduc capped off the return with a try. The Carabins many attempts to advance on the field were no match for the strength of the Gee-Gees defence, whose forced turnovers and interceptions stifled their over-matched opponents.

Montreal gave their best effort, but it was the Gee’s years of teamwork that gave them the advantage to beat the Carabins.

The women’s rugby team will take on last year’s powerhouse team, the Université du Laval Rouge et Or on Sept. 16 at Matt Anthony Field.