doug ford
Photo: Government of Ontario, Graphic: Andrew Wilimek/Fulcrum

“This treats the province’s citizens like adults by giving them the ability to choose what is right for their body.”

Following the success of the Ontario government’s introduction of alcohol to convenience stores in the province, Premier Doug Ford has announced they will also be able to sell cannabis starting in April.

The surprise move was made public Thursday afternoon at a press conference in Etobicoke. Speaking about the decision, the premier noted that ready-to-smoke marijuana — also known as joints — and edible marijuana gummies and chocolate will be available for purchase inside convenience stores starting April 20, 2025.

“This treats the province’s citizens like adults by giving them the ability to choose what is right for their body,” argued Ford when asked by reporters what effect the decision will have on public health.

Reporters continued to press Ford on how the move made financial sense to the government, given that the province has already entered into an agreement to give a select group of cannabis retailers — including Canna Cabana and Tokyo Smoke — a monopoly on selling weed through storefronts. Ford listed his years of experience in the industry as reasons to trust his administration with handling the financials.

When Ford was asked by a reporter if the move was in part motivated by a personal wish of obtaining cannabis more readily, he fired back, saying “I’ve got more than enough to smoke at home, thank you very much.”

• Andrew is in his fourth year of a Commerce degree, specializing in Business Tech Management. He served as sports editor for 2023-24 and now serves as Editor-in-Chief. Whether it’s hockey, baseball, fantasy football, or beer die, he loves nothing more than a little competition.