A band is playing to a crowd in a dark venue.
Image: Kai Holub/Fulcrum

If Ottawa is boring, then why are all these events coming up?

Contrary to the popular belief that there is nothing to do in Ottawa, there are nearly too many options! Let us be your guide in the darkness. Here are some diverse shows and events students should check out in the upcoming weeks.

BFA Students Art Auction – March 16

This year’s graduating Bachelor’s of Fine Arts students are hosting an art auction! It is the perfect time to support fellow students and also, find the next beloved artwork for your room. Plus, discover the next generation of trailblazing before they go into the world and make their mark.  The auction will be held March 16 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 2 Daly Ave, ArtEngine.

Ottawa Little Theatre: Murder on the Orient Express – February 28 to March 17

Brought to you by directors Venetia Lawless and Lindsay Laviolette, Ottawa Little Theatre is currently performing an adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express. Starting from February 28 until March 17 with a newly added extra performance, there’s plenty of time to catch a theatrical murder-mystery plot on stage! Tickets for the extra performance are soon to come.

House of Targ: Album Performance Event and Tunes – March 23

Indie-rock and Shoegaze group Futura Free is debuting songs from their new album, set to be joined by both Great Hunter Band, an orchestral rock and dream pop group, and University of Ottawa local Hannah Vig! Tickets are currently available online at House Targ for $15 online, with the showing starting at 10 p.m. – remember to bring along physical ID to get through the door!

House of Targ: Lloyds Money and Out by Lucy – March 28

Haven’t had enough of the venue? Check out House of Targ later in the week for a packed performance with some Ottawa locals like rock band Out by Lucy and indie rock group Dolonia, joined by the Halifax-based Lloyd’s Money! Tickets are currently going for $10 and doors will open for the venue at 8 p.m., so make sure to be timely and don’t miss out on a night of rock, perogies, and a little pinball for the night.

uO Creative Change – March 28

Lend your talents to the student club, Creative Change, which will be hosting their first major event on March 28 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the University’s Terminus (UCU). The event will boast performances (possibly featuring you),  banner decorating and snacks. The event will support the Shepherds of Good Hope cause. Visit their Instagram page to sign up for auditions.

SLRP 2 at The Lounge164 – April 8

On the evening of the solar eclipse why not celebrate this cosmic event with some transcendent music. The SLRP 2 show will be hosted on April 8 at The Lounge 164. You can expect unique music and evocative visuals. Performing will be DJNicky, w4lnutspics, dj_rhebis, spencercuddington, bleupale.sounds.

We hope to see you at these events!

Authors

• Daniel is in his second year of a major/minor in History and English. This is his first year working for the Fulcrum, and (hopefully!) not his last. You can catch him lurking in the Arts & Culture or Features sections! When he's not writing up to his ears, he's probably playing Mahjong or obsessing over new music.