Somehow, Anyone But You brought every emotion to the other side of the screen. Image: Anyone But You/IMDB.

Anyone But You was made for your everyday rom-com enthusiasts, which has caused many to assume a “dull” quality.

You wouldn’t think much of a rom-com based on a Shakespearean play. Yet, Anyone But You surprised us all with its quick-witted remarks, its representation, and its box office numbers. 

It was a movie made for your everyday rom-com enthusiasts, which has caused many to assume a “dull” quality. Although, it was made for the select few who enjoy Friends with their family. The movie was also made for the people who could be found, at times, with The Fault In Our Stars in hand, despite them having read it 36 times before.

Unlike most movies, who attempt to please as many audiences as possible while remaining loyal to its genre, Anyone But You was made primarily with its audience in mind. 

Regardless, Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell absolutely knocked this performance out of the park. You could almost feel the blazing chemistry, hatred, and passion. It brought every emotion to the other side of the screen. Usually, a rom-com doesn’t have much of this  — arguably, I wouldn’t consider it much of a rom-com at all. It’s “happy” and “feel-good”, but holds so much more meaning. It shows us how to be both true to ourselves, and to others.

Another quality I grew to appreciate was the 21st century adaptation. Originally, it was produced with Much Ado About Nothing in mind, a Shakespearean comedy written in the late 16th century. Bea (played by Sydney Sweeney) attends her sister’s lesbian wedding, bringing both Bea and Ben (played by Glen Powell) to Australia. 

Coincidentally, the sister of his friend Pete happens to be Claudia, the fiancé of Bea’s sister, Halle. Some of the manner in which the story attempts to prove their compatibility was baffling, the “enemies to lovers” trope especially. It’s incredibly overused.

Yet, the queer representation was particularly bold of the producers; it encouraged acceptance and shared unconditional love amongst today’s demographics.

Furthermore, the trailer was the first mistake made by the production team. It led us to think the movie was more so “erotic” and less of an innocent rom-com. Every scene advertised had either of them undressed, whispering sweet nothings, or a great deal of physical contact. The mixed critical reviews were likely due to its falsified portrayal of being an “adult” production. When, in reality, its overwhelming innocence and the character’s pubescent-like maturity were evident.