Social media algorithms can be overwhelming; there are many songs to check out.

Here are the trending songs of summer 2023 that you should check out.

Have you ever fallen down a TikTok rabbit hole and re-entered reality at 1 a.m.? You aren’t alone. Many students have joined the masses in the trenches of a TikTok binge. However, scrolling your For You Page for hours can have its rewards. In fact, many incredible songs have been discovered this way.

The problem (apart from delaying course readings and essays) is the quantity of content. It’s impossible to sift through the avalanche of content to find music that will become your new favorite.

To save you some time, here is a must-check-out compilation of the trending songs of summer 2023.

Blame Brett by The Beaches

This upbeat and deliciously accusatory song has been trending on TikTok over the summer. Founded in Toronto in 2013, The Beaches write about themes such as coming of age, love, and friendship.

Luckily, their recent single is not the only song in their repertoire. Their discography consists of two studio albums, four EPs, and several singles. 

Dance the Night (From Barbie The Album) by Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa’s dance-pop hit is featured on Barbie: The Album, the soundtrack album for the 2023 movie Barbie, directed by Greta Gerwig. Both the movie and the soundtrack album gained a whirlwind of love online. All things from Barbie has defined summer 2023.

AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM Remix by Beyoncé ft. Kendrick Lamar

Though the song is featured on Beyoncé’s 2022 album Renaissance, the song AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM with its memorable chorus re-surfaced as a hit for summer 2023. The remix with American rapper Kendrick Lamar was adored by fans on TikTok and popularized the iconic first verse.

Mona Lisa by Dominic Fike

This song was released as a single on June 2 before appearing on Dominic Fike’s new album Sunburn. The song previously gained popularity online since it was used to promote the movie Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. The song blends a captivating combo of hip-hop, rap, and pop. You can practically see the animated web-slinger saving New York when the melody hits your ears.

If We Ever Broke Up by Mae Stephens

Mae Stephens gained popularity on TikTok with her bright and funny disco single If We Broke Up. The song peaked at number 13 on the UK Singles Chart in 2023. With 14.3M videos using the song, this was one of the songs that defined summer 2023.

Hopefully, this compilation has saved you some time allowing you to focus on the following week of school – all while daydreaming about summer 2023.

Access the full playlist here.

Authors

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.