Kushner and KALEO drew big bustling crowds to TD Stage on Saturday night. Photo: Sydney Grenier/Fulcrum

Saturday night’s performances captured the spirit of CityFolk, highlighting connection with the crowd and amazing live music.

When I arrive at Landsdowne Park on Saturday night, Mik Laxton is wrapping up his set with ‘Leaving You with Less’. As I make my way down to TD Stage, young kids are racing around the lawn, couples are swaying and friends are dancing while trying not to spill their drinks.

The band swings into the blues-rock guitar solo section of the song and in the second row from the stage, someone brandishes a bubble gun. He blows many shiny soap bubbles into the crowd and various hands reach up trying to pop them.

I spent much of the night torn between the Courtside stage and the TD stage. While TD featured more rock bands, the Courtside stage was equally captivating. 

At the Courtside stage, Andrea Ramolo introduces her next song called “Free”. Before the rhythmic drums kick in, she suggests to the audience they watch the music video forFree” directed by Ramolo, Kinnie Starr, and Emilee Ann Pitawanakwat. Ramolo sings “We can’t be free cause were not all free” in a red dress making a statement of urgency to action, demanding No More Stolen Sisters.

Allison Russell also graced the Courtside Stage. Russell, on Sept. 8, released her second studio album The Returner. The album is a joyful and mind-bending multi-genre celebration of Black liberation, Black love and, of Black self-respect. 

When Russell takes the stage the music seems to take over her body–the piano lifts her arms and the tambourine moves her feet.  When “All of the Women” winds down Russell cries with her voice breaking “Black is beautiful, trans is beautiful”.

On my way back to TD stage, the sun is starting to dip away dyeing the sky pink and purple. It’s the perfect setting for listening to “Daylight” by David Kushner. 

Beside me in the crowd is a young girl repping her David Kusner T-shirt, shaking with excitement. Her dad, spotting this mood, says a little too loudly “Who’s excited for the Kush?” The crowd answers in whoops and shouts while his daughter responds with an eye roll and a plaintif “Dad!” 

Kushner stuns the crowd with his deep booming voice and sweet stage presence. He plays several unreleased songs such as “Dead Man” and “Georgia Rain”. During “Elk Grove”, he descends into the crowd, touching hands and smiling. As his set comes to a close, he thanks the beautiful crowd and announces his first full-length album which will be released in the next year.

Finally, it is now completely dark at Landsdowne Park and a few stars are peaking out. KALEO takes the stage and the crowd roars. The band is excited to be back at CityFolk, the bassist jumps up and down and frontman JJ Julius Son tips his hat, nodding to the crowd.

The beat resonates in my chest and Julius Son’s bellowing voice cracks the air. Behind me, is ‘Bubble Gun Guy’. Bubbles surround my head and drift to the stage. This earns us a smile from the guitarist, Rubin Pollock, who points us out his band members.

I’m definitely bringing a bubble gun to the next concert.

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.