A mural of lilypads in front of a static television screen.
Need to take a break from the concrete? Mosey on over to Montpetits finally finished extension. Photo: Andrew Lemieux/The Fulcrum

Murals, new and old, liven up the campus. Here’s what The Fulcrum thinks.

With the fall semester in full swing, it can be hard to stop and smell the paint – I mean look at the new murals, which have popped up all across campus! Take a moment this week to bask in what little sunshine we’ll get for the next few months and check them out!

Many Fish in Sea – Montpetit

Need to take a break from the concrete? Mosey on over to Montpetit’s finally finished accessibility extension and catch (literally!) the many larger-than-life fish adorning its walls. Television static water surrounds the many differently shaped and coloured water dwellers. I find my eyes drawn to the yellow and lime green gradient, pink-eyed fellow on the left but there’s plenty of fish in the ocean for everyone to find something they like!

A Dedication to Trans Women of Colour by Kalkidan Assefa – UCU Bookstore

UCU

This vibrant dedication to trans women of colour has enhanced the vibrant and bustling hub of Jock-Turcot University Centre for many years. The Fulcrum covered the fascinating history of the mural in 2016. The bold and confident figures serve as a reminder to all who pass that Black-trans lives matter. In the midst of the Million Person March protests, the mural stands the test of time as an electrifying symbol of resistance and pride.

83 ‘till Infinity – Ottawa Art Gallery

OAG

OAG

Ottawa Art Gallery’s newest exhibition, 83 ‘til Infinity, celebrates forty years of hip-hop in the Ottawa-Gatineau region, something close to the local art and music scene of today. Seeing the murals up close and personal, it’s charming to see themes like peace, love, and unity so clearly defined, right when those ideas are needed most. What’s most impressive is the level of control and pop these spray-painted figures have, toasted yellows radiate out of sky blues, and it’s impossible not to feel like your eyes are being pulled across the mural from one end to another. 

These vivid murals add life and colour to the urban campus and ease the rush of commutes between classes, which is much needed in midterm season.

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.