The Ottawa International Animation Festival (OIAF) a renowned event that has been enchanting audiences since 1976. Photo: Ottawa International Animation Festimal

Here are some films that were featured at the OIAF this year that you might have missed.

The Ottawa International Animation Festival (OIAF) is a renowned event that has been enchanting audiences since 1976. Over the course of five exhilarating days, from September 20 to 24, the OIAF takes over multiple venues across Ottawa, transforming the city into an animation enthusiast’s paradise.

Here are some films that were featured at the OIAF this year that you shouldn’t miss.

Girl with the Red Beret  by Janet Perlman

In vibrant and engaging animation, Girl with the Red Beret recounts a chaotic journey on the Montreal metro.

Many students know the intricacies of utilizing public transportation and The Girl with the Red Beret admires the harmony this experience can create–when the bus is on time.

The film takes pieces from ordinary life to create an enticing story. As she goes from station to station, winter transforms to spring, and her adventure becomes increasingly unusual and startling.

As the heroine encounters furniture movers, mounted police, a thief, some singing nuns, and a clown, the song “Complainte pour Ste-Catherine”  by Kate and Anna McGarrigle plays in the background.

Miserable Miracle by Ryo Orikasa

Miserable Miracle reflects the persistence and the constant ebb and flow of anxieties. The film begins following a pen writing on a page as the narrator’s thoughts escalate, the letter becomes people, fire, and violent sceneries. To add to this spiraling feeling, the narrator has two voices, overlapping and contradicting each other. 

At the end of the film, the harsh lines on the paper soften into rounder shapes and colours that can travel beyond the confines of the page. Overall, the animator makes the statement that even when we are overwhelmed there are many moments of wonderful images.

HARVEY by Janice Nadeau

HARVEY is a short film based on the graphic novel of the same name and it portrays a little kid recalling the spring day when his life was flipped upside down. This piece by Janice Nadeau tackles mourning and living with the death of a parent. It is filled with creative tiny touches and narrated through the eyes of a youngster with an overflowing imagination.

Whether you’re an artist, a producer, a student, or simply a passionate fan of animation, OIAF 2023 has something extraordinary in store for you. 

At OIAF, you can explore a diverse range of events and experiences, from thrilling short film competitions that showcase the finest animated works to hands-on animation workshops.

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.