The Commotions are a 12-piece funk/soul band who are sure to get you dancing. Image: The Commotions

The album release party of Volume III was a lively showcase of Ottawa talent

Many years in the making with several collaborators, The Commotions third studio album Volume III is a loud, bold blend of jazz and funk–and you can hear all the time and effort put into its creation.

The album release party for Volume III took place on January 20 at the Bronson Center. Brian Asselin, The Commontions band lead and tenor saxophonist, spoke with the Fulcrum regarding the completely sold out show.

Having hosted the Ottawa Music Awards at the Bronson Center years ago, Asselin expressed that the return to the venue for the album release party provided a new challenge– a larger room.

Being used to playing festivals, the 12-piece band recognized the opportunity to continue to make a name for themselves in Ottawa.

Mind you, The Commotions are well-established already. Asselin gathered the band 10 years ago and they released their first record in 2013. After touring with the Detroit band the Legendary Funk Brothers, Asselin wanted to write tributes to the genre of Motown.

The second record, Volume II came in 2017 and changed the game for The Commotions. “We got some radio play on CBC across the country, and it helped the band really get a bit of a name for ourselves. And we played a bit of the festival circuit, which was really great.”

Asselin asserts, however, that Volume III is their best record yet. 

The band consists of a five-piece horn section, three vocalists and a full rhythm section. Reinforced by collaboration within and outside the band, Volume III is a masterful tribute to the art of creative teamwork. Asselin said, “I think the record is just that much stronger because of [the collaborations] and it helps me grow as an arranger and as a songwriter. When I arrange with other writers or when I write with other songwriters, it helps me personally grow as a musician.”

The album release party seated 600 people in the Bronson Centre, which is an amazing feat for any local artist.

The evening started with a thrilling opening act from The Lionyls, another Ottawa-based Soul band. The Lionyls were clearly very excited to be opening for the Commotions, as the lead singer mentioned how much they look up to band members. He even referred to them as their musical “big brothers and sisters.” The Lionyls ended their set with a song they plan to release before the winter ends.

The excitement was tangible in the audience, and apparently on stage too. Asselin told the Fulcrum, “The band played so well that night. I can’t thank them enough. They’re so, so talented. I’m just honoured to be on stage with them…And we had of course The Lionyls that night as well. And they’re a huge force in Ottawa, such a great band, great songwriters, and really great people. So it ended up being honestly one of the best musical nights of my entire life.”

Apart from being a musician, Asselin is also a teacher in the Algonquin College School of Music Industry Arts, and has advice for students who hope to make a career in the music industry.

“Being in the scene for so many years I’ve discovered a couple of things and one of them is — if you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people.”

For students who find a goal overwhelming, Asselin suggests; “All they have to do every single day is be 1 per cent better at something. So whatever your trait is, whatever it is that you feel like you’re meant to do on this planet, as long as every single day you keep that path of 1 per cent better, that is something that is achievable.”

Importantly, Asselin encourages creatives to pursue their dreams, no matter how lofty. Otherwise “it’s just really a loss of talent. You’re not creating, you’re not sharing your ideas with the world and that’s unfortunate, you know, but if you stick to that 1 per cent you’re on your way”.

Students can follow the journey of the Commotions on Instagram and Facebook.

Authors

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.