Aaron Carter’s After Party  tour comes to Canada

Photo courtesy of Aaron Carter

NOT ONLY IS Aaron Carter still alive—he’s well, he’s on tour, and yes, he still wants candy.

“It would be false advertising if I didn’t,” he says.

After spending more than two years as a principal cast member in the Off-Broadway production of The Fantasticks, Carter went on hiatus from the show to return to touring. The 25-year-old singer’s gig at Zaphod Beeblebrox on Sept. 17 is one stop on a tour of 75 cities in three months.

“I love it, so it doesn’t burn me out,” Carter says of his full schedule.

“It’s like a relationship with somebody, you know what I mean?” he continues. “How do you keep yourself in love with that person? You just love that person and you care about that person so much that you don’t have to think about it.”

Having performed since he was six years old, Carter has extensive experience on stage. Now with a solid run of performing Off-Broadway, he’s been able to put his idea of the After Party tour into action. Playing on the name of his second album, Aaron’s Party (Come and Get It), the tour features remixes of old songs, as well as his new single, “What Would You Do.”

Many of his fans across North America won’t have seen him in The Fantasticks, but Carter is confident that he can bring it and exceed expectations.

“I think a lot of people don’t realize how passionate I am about what I do and the caliber of performer that I am,” he says. “You know, I’ve been doing this for 18 years; it’s not like I just started yesterday. And I’m 100 per cent sure that it shows.”

While some might doubt his abilities and discount him for being a formerly successful pop star, Carter is focused on connecting with fans and giving them a good show.

“I love what I do and I remember where I went. I remember hitting rock bottom and nobody being there for me and having to pick myself up on my own,” he says. “Being able to communicate with my fans really made a significant difference in my life and getting me to the place I am today.”

While he’s on tour, Carter says he enjoys connecting with the local culture through food.

“Canada has ketchup chips and Indonesia has monkey brains,” he says.

I suggest that he should try a truly Canadian meal: poutine.

“What did you say?” he says.

“Poutine,” I say. “It’s French fries, with cheese curds and gravy. That’s the best Canadian dish.”

“Aw, yeah, I forgot about that,” he says. “I’m going to have to do that too.”

With upcoming tour dates in Kingston and Toronto, he’ll have many chances to sample the cuisine, and of course, get some candy.

Check out a clip of Aaron’s Ottawa show below