Image: CHUO FM/Provided.

CHUO 89.1 FM is facing an unprecedented crisis

On September 28, UOSU raised and approved a referendum question that threatens to defund CHUO by stopping the student levy collected on its behalf. Without your support, a student-focused organization that has been serving students and equity-seeking communities on campus and across Ottawa for over 30 years could be lost. 

I’ve worked in radio since 1991, the same year students at the University of Ottawa won an FM license and brought CHUO-FM to life on 89.1 FM. After working in commercial and campus radio for three decades, I was hired in January as the Acting Station Manager for CHUO. I have never seen a funding referendum such as this target a campus radio station like a bolt from the blue. No discussion, no debate, just an ultimatum proposed by a member of the UOSU Board with no time to meaningfully respond.

The Impact of CHUO on U of O and the Community

Commercial radio has always had a simple mantra – “get higher ratings, make more money; get higher ratings, make more money” (rinse and repeat). Campus radio, on the other hand, is more about giving. Giving “the people” access to the airwaves so they can “get their message out”. It is about valuing equity, serving the community, and building a shared vision.

CHUO, as a campus radio station, offers hands-on experience that allows students to connect to the issues and concerns that affect their communities and campus life. Future broadcasters, policymakers, artists, and thinkers are born here.

I see it in action every day. This past Thursday a new contributor, Ethan, was voicing radio liners on his first day. Jefferson was working with Luigi, our Program Director, Israa, developing more French programming and newscasts. TingTing and Olivia were developing our website and social media campaign. Kawtar was building our podcast network promotion. Arya was organizing our street-level campaign. And, Lauren, CHUO’s News & Spoken Word Coordinator, was onboarding a new contributor and ensuring our first edition of “La Mosaïque” went to air.

But this cooperative effort to create community radio could simply crumble next week.

Where Things Went Wrong

How can a 32-year-old organization be put in jeopardy of losing its essential funding overnight without public discussion or any meaningful debate about the purpose of campus and community radio? Just a simple question can tear down decades of institutional knowledge and collective student and community-focused artistry. Why CHUO, and why now?

Students should be aware that in 2019 UOSU signed a Memorandum of Agreement with CHUO which ensures that station programming is independent, and that two UOSU Board members must serve on CHUO’s Board of Directors. However, prior to the proposal of the funding referendum, neither UOSU Board member attended any meetings or responded to emails regarding Board meetings throughout 2023.

Although we understand that the Board Chair of UOSU learned of the referendum question regarding CHUO on September 14, UOSU only formally notified CHUO of the question on September 22. It is clear that our organizations are not working coherently as per the terms and mutual understanding in the agreement would require.

Once the question was approved, we were then given about 29 hours lead time to prepare a campaign to respond to the referendum question. This unreasonably short notice period would have been unlawful under the previous Election Code, which was incidentally modified by UOSU on August 20, 2023 without prior notice to student groups.

UOSU also assured CHUO that it held no authority to reject referendum questions once proposed by an independent student. Yet, it failed to mention that the referendum question was posed by a member of its own Board. At its September 28 meeting, and after an extended confidential discussion with its lawyers, UOSU proceeded to reject the question as initially posed. It then created its own question focusing exclusively on defunding CHUO while abandoning other budgetary savings concerns initially raised by its own Board member.

Students should also be aware that the UOSU Board member who submitted the initial referendum question about defunding the radio station had never asked a question about CHUO at any UOSU Committee or Board meeting. Moreover, the Board Member had not emailed a single question to CHUO, nor had spoken to our Board. The same Board member didn’t even have the interest to visit the station and meet with the staff, students and contributors before seeking to defund it.

You should consider that this story is really about two organizations that had a common interest and formed an alliance but over the past 10 months or so we have lost that vital connection. Legal wrangling and poor governance have overshadowed principles of transparency, accountability and fairness that students should expect. We want to have a dialogue with UOSU, we want to understand why CHUO has found itself in the crosshairs of UOSU. We have always respected our agreement with the Student’s Union. We have a lot to offer: our doors are open and we welcome you to speak about the future of your radio station. 

What’s At Stake For Students

The referendum question on CHUO is not a matter of simply removing funds from a cultural hub. It represents a broader question regarding the campus and community life that students want to maintain and build.

Local and independent hip-hop artists and other genres are presented every day at our station. Over a dozen cultural communities have had a weekly presence on CHUO for many years now. Students are not only showcasing their work: they are actively engaging in impactful outreach through a diversity of platforms such as innovative podcasts, educated and entertaining radio shows, inventive social media and advertising. CHUO is more than just a music station. Let’s preserve this vital cultural outlet for student expression TOGETHER, as it helps define our unique campus voice. The power to uphold this vibrant and unique foundation lies in your hands.