ON MARCH 3, the University of Ottawa women’s basketball team (19-3 regular season, 3-0 playoffs) was called to the centre of the court to accept the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) trophy after winning the gold medal match against the previous OUA champions the Windsor University Lancers (20-2 regular season,2-1 playoffs).

“I think that is the first time we’ve maintained what we’ve started,” said head coach Andy Sparks of the Gees’ performance. “I think we played 40 minutes of solid basketball with everyone contributing … it was about as much as we could expect and what we’ve been looking for.”

The first half saw the Gees play as they never have before, with complete confidence and determination. fourth-year forward Jenna Gilbert brought in 14 points in the first half alone, while fifth-year foward Elisabeth Lennox, known for her rebounds, shut down the Lancers with 11 points of her own. The second quarter ended with a score of 46-16 for the Gees.

The U of O didn’t slow down, and continued to hit the battered Lancers over and over again, never missing an opportunity to score a point. The game finished with a convincing score of 89-38.

” This is the third time I have played Windsor in the OUA finals, loost by 30 the other times,” said fifth-year centre Hannah Sunley-Paisley. “So it was great to almost make up that difference in this game.”

This win will send the Gees to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport championships in Calgary.

More details to come in the next issue of the Fulcrum.