The Fulcrum lets you in on a quick and healthy dish for the new year
It’s the start of another new year, and for many of us, that means getting rid of old habits and incorporating positive lifestyle changes. Maybe you’ve decided to tidy up your apartment, à la Marie Kondo, or finally blocked your toxic ex’s number. Or perhaps you’re trying to eat a little better and hit the gym more often. That’s great news!
But preparing healthy meals can be both time-consuming and pricey depending where you shop, and you’re probably getting tired of the same boring smoothies. This can lead to people losing the motivation to stick to fresh, healthy cooking, and picking something up between classes or during their lunch break at work. If this is you, then fear not, because here’s an easy recipe for hearty salads you can meal prep and keep in the fridge for almost a week. Sweet and spicy shrimp mixed with fresh, colourful veggies leave you with a quick lunch or dinner that’s sure to have your taste buds swimming.
- One bag of shrimp, thawed (roughly 15-20 of them)
- Half a box of mixed spring greens
- Two stalks of celery, finely chopped
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- One zucchini, finely diced
- A small serving of a low-fat cheese of your choice (optional)
- Half a lime
- Two tablespoons of honey
- One teaspoon of chili powder
- One tablespoon of salt
- A pinch of ginger paste
- Clean and devein the shrimp, and marinate with lime juice, honey, chili powder, salt, and ginger paste for half an hour.
- Once marinated, lightly fry shrimp until cooked (four to five minutes per side).
- Chop shrimp into thirds, and mix with greens, celery, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and a small serving of a low-fat cheese (cottage cheese works great).
- You can also make a dressing by blending half an avocado, two tablespoons of olive oil, the juice of half a lemon, and some salt and pepper until smooth and creamy.
The recipe makes four servings, so pack up those tupperwares and enjoy!