Reading Time: 1 minute

Gees win in semifinal match-up against Paladins

TODAY THE GARNET and Grey fought for the opportunity to play tomorrow in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) gold medal match and won. The semifinal game pit the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees ( 13-15 regular season, 2-0 playoffs)  against the Royal Military College Paladins (9-9 regular season, 1-1 playoffs) where the Gees clinched a three-set win.

“A real focused effort by our kids,” said head coach Lionel Woods of the game. “They did what they had to do to win this match and get to the gold.”

The leading players were second-year left/right setter Karina Kreuger-Schwanke who performed admirably with 18 kills, eight aces, and five digs, claiming the title of player of the game. Third-year setter Christina Grail came close with four kills, 35 assists, and six digs.

The team will play on Feb. 26 at 3 p.m. against Queen’s University Golden Gaels (13-5 regular season, 2-0 playoffs) in hopes of claiming the title of first place in the OUA

“[The team’s] are dead even,” said Woods. “So both teams just have to play their best and to me that’s exciting. Both teams deserve what chips fall where they may. Obviously we want the gold and all we have to do is play the way we do with all seven people at any given moment and I expect Queen’s to do the same. I expect a long match–a battle match.”

–Katherine DeClerq