Gee-Gees

brock newton flexing
Photo: Gar FitzGerald / Guelph.

“We have a lot of talent on our roster and that makes it easy to succeed.”

The Newtons have become synonymous with Gee-Gees basketball. And while older brother Cole began making an impact with the squad a year before Brock, the younger sibling is showing Canadian fans why he was recruited to play for Bucknell University in the NCAA’s Division 1.

The Newtons hail from southwestern Ontario, specifically Fergus, located just outside of Guelph. So when the Gee-Gees travelled to the city to play the Gryphons Nov. 3, it was a homecoming of sorts – and fans packed the stands to see the brothers.

“Being my first game played in Guelph since my grade 11 high school year, it was really cool to be able to have friends and family from my hometown come out to watch me and my brother for the first time in a long time.” Brock explained. “Having that kind of support was a super cool experience and I’m grateful for everyone who came out.”

The fans wouldn’t have to wait long to cheer for the hometown boys. Shortly after Brock won the game’s tip-off, he handed the ball off to his brother and instead of setting a screen, sprinted to the basket and received the ball back. Brock dunked to great reception from the crowd, and the Gees were on the board first.

That wouldn’t be the 6’7” forward’s only jam of the game. That would come with just one minute left and would result in an even louder reception from the fans in attendance.

Newton told The Fulcrum that the poster wasn’t even the biggest dunk of his career. “I think the biggest dunk of my life came in practice this year playing 5-on-5. I drove baseline past Wil Zylyk and caught [Enrique Garcia] under the rim in a poster that made him fall over, it was awesome.”

The younger Newton would finish with 17 points on 8-13 shooting from the field, as the Gee-Gees beat Guelph handily, 86-66. Fourth-year guard and 2023 OUA Third Team All-Star Dragan Stajic would lead the Gees with 18 points, including 3-4 three-point shooting. Cole would end up with five points, five rebounds, and four steals.

The 2023 U SPORTS bronze medalists stormed out of the gate this autumn, achieving a perfect 5-0 record in preseason — which included a win over Harvard University. After the first weekend of the season, they ranked #1 on the U SPORTS national top-ten.

Newton also discussed his confidence level, both in himself and the team, coming into his second season as a Gee. “I felt and feel really good about the year,” Newton declared. “We have a lot of talent on our roster, and it makes it easy to succeed when you’re constantly surrounded by All-Canadian caliber players. Having guys like that push you and compete in practice, which makes the games easier.”

The women battled hard in their opener, which took place before the men played. After a slow start, they managed to gain a fourth-quarter lead, but ultimately fell to the Gryphons 57-49.

Both teams were sloppy from the field, shooting a combined 27 per cent on the night. Guelph had the upper hand in both points off turnovers, with 25 to Ottawa’s 14. The Gryphons used their size advantage inside to put up 32 paint points, doubling the Gee’s 16.

Both teams will travel to Windsor Nov. 10, before heading on to Western Nov. 11 for a Saturday night matchup. Games are available for streaming on OUA.TV.