A young man holds up a French flag with signatures in between two other men, who are clapping
Photo: Tim Austen/Gee Gees.

Head coach Dave Heinrich is remarkably proud of the team

The Gee-Gees swim team dove to the finish of their 2023-24 season, after a satisfying performance at the U SPORTS National Championships in Pointe-Claire, QC.

Despite the Montpetit Pool being closed for half of the team’s season, the team did not disappoint at the meet, with members making four separate A-final appearances. The men’s 4x100m relay team finished fourth overall, as well.

Head coach Dave Heinbuch is significantly proud of the team’s performance, especially regarding their adaptation to the pool closure.

“The swimmers had to change their schedules every week depending on what pools and times we were able to schedule. That was the toughest part. Morale was definitely an issue,” he said. “I have nothing but respect for the whole team for managing their school and swimming during the closure. There were ups and downs but overall we made it work.”

Heinbuch believed the teams RSEQ championships in February set a “really good indicator of where we are a team”. The Gee-Gees had dominated the championships, sweeping up a whopping 32 medals in Quebec City, good for a second-overall finish — the third straight for the team. and finished second overall for a third year in a row.

“Both teams placed second behind McGill which was impressive. And the team won [34] medals at the championships, which is the most the team has won since we moved to the RSEQ conference,” he remarked. “Isabel Langridge winning RSEQ rookie of the year was a huge boost for the team. She swam lights out at the championship and deserved the award.”

A standout championship performance from the team came from Hugo Lemesle, a third-year Gee-Gee who received three gold medals for his breaststroke. Heinbuch praised the 2023-2024 U SPORTS First Team All-Canadian’s improvements over the years.

“Every year he has made significant improvements as a swimmer and a student. His 200m breast race at U SPORTS [Championships] was incredible and is getting very close to being a world-class swim. We all admire his ability to win the close races and he definitely showed that off in Pointe-Claire.”

The championship additionally marked the final performance of two-year team captain Brendan van Herk, who is graduating this year. The 2022-23 U SPORTS Academic All-Canadian completed the 200m butterfly A-final with a time of 2:06.99.

Heinbuch enjoyed having van Herk on his roster over the years, labelling him a leader both in and out of the pool. “We could not have asked anything else from him over his three years with the team,” the head coach said. 

“The end of a university career is very emotional and [van Herk] handled it like the pro he is. He raced to win medals and although he came up short it was not for lack of effort and preparation. He is an inspiration to all the members of the team and we will miss him greatly.”