A one-stop-shop for all your Gee-Gee updates

Maclaine Chadwick | Fulcrum Staff

Photo by Justin Labelle 

Men’s basketball on winning streak 

AFTER WINNING THEIR first game following the holiday break 93-74 over the York University Lions, the Gee-Gees men’s basketball team travelled to Sudbury and prevailed 87-77 over the Laurentian University Voyageurs, extending their winning streak to eight games.

Up by 10 points at halftime, the Gees—led on the scoreboard by third-year guard Johnny Berhanemeskel and fifth-year guard Warren Ward—allowed the Voyageurs to come in sight of tying the game until a pair of three-point shots from Berhanemeskel and first-year forward Mehdi Tihani brought the Gees back to a safe lead.

“We made the big shots today,” said head coach James Derouin in a press release sent to the Fulcrum. “The guys created them from broken plays and hit a few in transition.”

The men’s basketball team is now 9-1, and stands at third place in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) east division and tenth place in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) standings.

The Gees’ next home game will be played against the Queen’s University Gaels on Jan. 18 at Montpetit Hall, which will be followed by the annual Capital Hoops Classic game against Carleton University at Scotiabank Place on Jan. 23. Tickets for Capital Hoops can be purchased at the Minto Sports Complex or at geegees.ca.

Women’s basketball overcomes Laurentian 

FOLLOWING A 68-44 win over the York Lions on Jan. 4, the Gee-Gees women’s basketball team played a tight game against the Laurentian Voyageurs, bringing the final score to 58-48 after a 15-point scoring run in the fourth quarter.

Leading the team on the scoreboard was forward Jenna Gilbert with 19 points, followed by forward Tatiana Hanlan with 12 points. Forward Maddie Stephen also achieved a personal best of 21 rebounds during the game.

The win against Laurentian, the Gee-Gees’ sixth win in a row, brings the team record to 7-3 as they prepare for upcoming challenges.

“We have some very tough, [high] pressure games coming up in the schedule,” said head coach Andy Sparks in a press release sent to the Fulcrum. “The pressure is high right now and we are looking for growth from our team through these games.”

The Gees are on the road until Jan. 18 when they play Queen’s at Montpetit Hall, followed by the Capital Hoops Classic against Carleton University at Scotiabank Place on Jan. 23.

Women’s volleyball triumphs in back-to-back games

IN TWO OF their longest games of the season, the women’s volleyball team overcame the University of Toronto Varsity Blues and the Ryerson University Rams, winning each match three sets to two.

After winning the first set against Toronto 25-22, the Gee-Gees slipped and allowed the Varisty Blues to win the following two sets during the Jan. 5 game. In the fourth quarter, the Gees pulled out a 7-0 run to begin the set, eventually winning 25-18. This energy carried over into the final set, which ended at 15-12 in favour of Ottawa.

Head coach Lionel Woods cited Toronto’s intelligence as what brought the challenge on.

“Toronto is such a smart team,” he said, “You cannot for a second stop thinking because they constantly make adjustments.”

The Gees were led by Myriam English, who had 16 kills, and Karina Krueger Schwanke, who had 15 kills.

Sunday’s battle against Ryerson proved just as challenging for the Gees, who lost the third and fourth set to the hosting Rams. Strong defence from third-year libero Stephanie Theiler and kills from English and her sister Kelsie pulled the Gees ahead, securing them a 15-13 win in the fifth set. The English sisters also led the scoreboard with 19 points each.

“I think it’s what we needed right after Christmas—two teams that fought back and gave us a good challenge,” said Kelsie, in a press release sent to the Fulcrum. “We came out on top, which is what’s important.”

With a record of 11-1, the Gees now sit at seventh place in the CIS standings and first place in the OUA standings. Their next game will be played at Montpetit Hall on Jan. 12 against the last-place University of Waterloo Warriors.

Men’s hockey stung by Stingers, reign over Redmen

IN THEIR FIRST games after the break, the men’s hockey team fell 2-0 to the Concordia University Stingers and triumphed 4-3 over the McGill University Redmen.

Scoring two goals 14 seconds apart in the second period, the Stingers shut out the visiting Gee-Gees 2-0 in their first game of 2013. Despite outshooting the Stingers 36-32, the Gees gave up the two goals during turnovers in the second period.

“We turned the puck over in the second period, which we were not doing in the first,” said head coach Réal Paiement in a press release sent to the Fulcrum. “As a team we are playing well but individual, one-on-one mistakes cost us today.”

The following day, the Gees hosted the visiting McGill Redmen at the Minto Sports Complex and won 4-3 in a shootout.

Gee-Gee Goals were scored by second-year Mathieu Leduc in the first period, second-year Mathieu Ouellette in the second period, and third-year Dominic Jalbert in the third period. Jalbert’s goal tied the game and sent the Gees and the Redmen to overtime. In the end, it was first-year forward Nicolas Larocque-Marcoux who scored the only shootout goal. Goaltender François Lacerte, a recent addition to the Gees, stopped all McGill shots during the game’s final contest.

The Gee-Gees will travel to Trois-Rivières, Que. to take on the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières Patriotes on Jan. 11. They will then play at home against the Ryerson Rams on Jan. 13.