Men’s football loses in quarter finals

In the first game of the Ontario University Athletics playoff quarterfinals, Gee-Gees men’s football lost against the McMaster University’s Marauders Oct. 26 at Ron Joyce stadium in Hamilton.  Both teams ended the regular season 5–3, although the Marauders had a strong defensive season.  They only allowed two-thirds the amount of points scored against that the Gees allowed.

The game was not short-lived by any means, as the Marauders picked up 14 points in the first 10 minutes of play.  The Gees couldn’t respond and failed to focus their ground game, which was paramount to McMaster’s 41–7 victory.

McMaster totaled 143 rushing yards, which was more than fourfold what the Gees could muster.  The Marauders defensive strength also forced fifth-year quarterback Aaron Colbon to play the field horizontally and make quite a few runs.

This loss signals the end of the season for the football team, but it also signals a large improvement from last year’s performance.  Hopefully, next year the team will be able to build on the new foundations laid out by Jamie Barresi.

Cross-country places ninth in OUA championships

The men’s and women’s cross-country teams sent 14 athletes to the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships Oct. 26, both of which placed ninth in the overall team standings.

The weather was dreary and the turf muddy.  The women’s team had a strong finish with third-year translation student Isabelle Kanz, who placed 22nd with a time of 23 minutes 42 seconds.

“It was good to be in the mix with Waterloo and Laurentian,” said Kanz. “Those are two really good teams.”

Fifth-year history student Remy Binns, who placed 38th overall with a time of 35 minutes 45 seconds, led the men’s team.  Binns was closely followed by first-year social science rookie Alex Berhe, who posted a time of 36 minutes 2 seconds, placing 41st overall.

Women’s hockey continues strong performance

The Gee-Gees won their two home games against Carleton and Concordia on Oct. 26 – 27.  After leaving their pre-season with a 3–3 record, the women’s hockey team has begun its regular season with a strong 3–1 record.

The first game against Concordia was a close match, although Concordia led the game 1–0 well into the third period.  After killing a 5-on-3 power play at the beginning of the third, the Gees turned the defensive struggle into offence and scored a tying goal.  With just more than 30 seconds in the third, Concordia landed a penalty and the Gees capitalized with a goal in the final 10 seconds of play winning the game 2–1.

The second game against Carleton was much less of a contest.  The Gees used their size and superior puck control to dominate  play throughout their second game against Carleton.  Third-year goalie Stéphanie Mercier has also proven herself to be an indomitable force, having only allowed three goals in the past three games. The Gees won the game 6–1.