Fitness & Health

Meals and snacks to help you eat between classes and social dates

Photo courtesy of Tina Wallace

101 WEEK IS a wonderful time to fill your social calendar with activities, your body with exciting and colourful beverages, and to forget to eat.

An active body and mind require a balanced diet to continue functioning.  That means regularly eating from all the food groups: proteins (meats and beans), carbohydrates (breads and grains), dairy (or calcium-rich alternatives), sugars, and of course, fruits and vegetables.

Instead of going out for fast—and pricey—meals late at night and getting embarrassed by a grumbling stomach in the morning, try eating in small increments throughout the day.  There’s no better way to stay awake and pass the time in class than by munching.

Food suggestions

Snacks: granola bars, fruit salads with maple syrup or honey, chopped vegetables, yogurt (Greek, fruit, Balkan), trail mix, nuts, protein bars, and V8 or V-GO juice.

Breakfast: parfaits, smoothies, and eggs (any style—add vegetables or sausage pieces to make a good omelette).

Meals: salad, stews, canned soups low in sodium, potatoes, homemade soups, pasta, pizza, and sandwiches.

Sides: chickpeas, quinoa, salsa, salads, rice, pasta, and potatoes.

Easy recipes

Homemade pasta sauce

3 tbsp olive oil

1-2 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)

1 onion (chopped)

4-5 tomatoes (diced)

Water

Herbs (basil and/or oregano)

1 tbsp powdered chicken stock (optional)

3 tbsp red wine (optional)

Salt & pepper

Heat the olive oil in the pan and fry the garlic and onions. Once the onions are translucent, add the tomatoes and fry, adding water as necessary. Add the remaining ingredients to taste. The sauce should be ready in 30 minutes. Add any other chopped vegetables, seafood, sausages, or meatballs for additional flavour.

Warm lentil salad 

Canned lentils

Cumin

Curry powder (optional)

Salt & pepper

Spinach leaves

Goat cheese

Drain and rinse the canned lentils. Over the stove, heat in a pan with enough water to cover the lentils. Add spices to taste (a little bit of cumin, some curry powder, etc). Once the water has mostly evaporated, pour the lentils over a bed of spinach leaves and top with goat cheese.

Potato wedges

Potatoes (washed)

Paprika

Salt & pepper

Olive oil

Herbs (optional)

Cut potatoes into wedges and put them into a bowl. Coat with the remaining ingredients and toss to cover. Put into the oven at 350°C for one hour or until the potatoes are soft in the center.

Tzatziki 

½ large cucumber sliced or diced

6 tbsp plain Greek yogurt

¼ tsp salt

½ cup chopped dill

Mix all ingredients by hand.

Tuna salad

2 cans of tuna, drained

1 chopped apple (optional)

½ cup chopped nuts (optional)

½ tsp salt

3 tbsp mayonnaise or sour cream

Mix all ingredients by hand.