Uncategorized

An expert shares her wisdom

ADMITTEDLY, HITCHHIKING IS far from the safest method of travel. Not only do hitchhikers run the risk of getting tangled up with the authorities, but they’re also breaking the very first rule any parent gives to his or her child: Don’t get in the car with strangers. Regardless of the legal and physical dangers associated with hitchhiking, people stand at the side of the highway every single day, arms outstretched and thumbs up. If you’re going to join their ranks—and we sincerely hope you don’t!—make sure you’ve got yourself covered.

The basics of the business
First things first: In order to hitchhike, you will have to make your way to the highway. This will require a lot of walking, fence-hopping, and law-breaking. To let drivers know that you’re looking to hitch a ride, do it like you’ve seen on the silver screen: Stick your arm out on the side of the road and raise your thumb up in the air. It’s that simple. Now prepare to wait for someone to stop and pick you up. Remember, hitchhiking is not a glamorous activity; it will be hot, sweaty, and wet, and will involve long hours of waiting, starvation, and at times, dehydration.

See a trucker? Get in the truck
If you see an 18-wheeler coming down the highway, do what you must to get that driver to stop! Riding in an 18-wheeler is your golden ticket to the Trans-Canada highway. Truckers are usually going long distances and may also have double bunk beds for crashing at night. For the most part, they’re extremely friendly and are usually happy to have some company while travelling for hours on the road.

Bring wet wipes
Wet wipes are a lifesaver on any road trip, camping trip, and backpacking excursion. When you’re on the road, you’re not likely to see a bathroom or shower for a few days. Wet wipes can be used to wash your hands and face and clean up any sticky spill or mess. Consider packing some toilet paper, too!

Bring extra socks and the right pair of shoes
When you’re travelling on the road for days on end, you will want to remember to change those socks. Sure, you’ll be wearing shoes all day, but when it comes time to take them off, you’re not going to want to disgust your driver and get kicked out of the car.
A good pair of shoes to wear for the road are closed toe and comfortable. You will spend hours walking in mud, on gravel, through fields, and in rain puddles. No high heels or flip-flops for you!

Protect yourself
The road can be a dangerous place, now more than ever, so you will have to be prepared for any kind of danger. You should never hitchhike alone and it is advisable to go in co-ed groups or pairs. When you and your hitchhiking partner are getting into a car, make sure you both hop in at the same time. Trust your gut instinct—if the driver looks sketchy, don’t get in the car.
A good way to get out of an unwanted ride is to ask if the person is heading to a city in the opposite direction. When he or she responds negatively, you can excuse yourself from the ride. Smart hitchhikers do not travel at night and always carry a high-pitched emergency alarm.
Some drivers will invite you to stay overnight at their place, but don’t accept the offer. It’s much safer to be on the road than in someone’s home. You do not want to stray too far from the highway until you have reached your final destination.

Bring a map
Don’t leave home without a map of the area you’ll be travelling to. As the hitchhiker, you need to know where you are going. It is important to navigate the roads along with the driver who has picked you up. Not all drivers know where they’re going, and if you miss your exit and have to hitch a ride back, you’re going to be on the side of the road longer than necessary.

Pack lightly
The more you carry, the heavier your bag will be, so grab the necessities and leave the gadgets at home. You’ll need a water bottle, sunscreen, cellphone, snacks, credit card, deodorant, a toothbrush, and a few clothing items.

Be prepared to face the wrath of your parents
Your parents will most certainly call the police, alert your family members, and nag you about your hitchhiking for the rest of your life. Remind yourself that they’re doing this because they love you. If you insist on hitchhiking, despite your loved ones’ concerns, fill them in on your plans and promise to call and text as often as possible.

—Danielle Vicha