Uncategorized

In no particular order…

EVERYONE HAS A bucket list of monuments, cities, and countries they’d like to travel to before they die. Topping the typical list are the usual suspects: The Eiffel Tower, New York City, and a beach in any of the Caribbean islands. Sure, these places are spectacular, but the world’s a big place and contains some pretty fantastic, if oft-overlooked, locales. Here, Fulcrum writers list their 10 favourite—and somewhat underrated—travel destinations to see before you die.

1. The Scottish Highlands, Scotland
Last year, I had the privilege of returning to my roots when I visited Scotland with my dad. The country truly surpassed all of my expectations. The most memorable part of the trip was travelling from the flatlands of southern Scotland to the rugged wilderness and isolation of the highlands, where the charm of the people and the rough beauty of the landscape have remained intact. Those visiting the area must take the time to travel to the Isle of Skye and Portree to enjoy what will surely be the most delicious catch-of-the-day fish of their lives. I highly recommend seeing this area of Scotland because there is no better place on Earth to let your imagination run wild.
—Sean Campbell

2. San Francisco, California
If your childhood memories of Full House aren’t enough to make you want to visit the great city of San Fran, then maybe the following reasons will. San Francisco is home to many beaches, all of which play host to a vibrant surfing community. The city is extremely multicultural and boasts restaurants serving a wide variety of delicious and ethnic foods. In fact, San Francisco holds the title of America’s best restaurant city, so you are guaranteed to eat some of the most fantastic meals of your life while visiting. San Francisco is also a very historic city, home to Alcatraz, the notorious former prison located on an island in the San Francisco Bay. The city has something for everyone, so whether you’re interested in the performing arts, nightlife, surfing, or wineries, make sure you take a trip to the Golden Gate City in your lifetime.
—Emily Jackson

3. The Sistine Chapel, Italy
As one of the original Renaissance men, Michelangelo Buonarroti’s work on the Sistine Chapel is a masterpiece worth visiting before one’s coffin-dodging days are over. Located within the walls of Vatican City, La Cappella Sistina is an irrefutable artistic wonder with its frescoed ceiling, vibrant colours, and biblical tapestries painted throughout the chapel. Over 300 figures are depicted, including the famous illustration of “The Last Judgement,” arguably the greatest accomplishment of Michelangelo’s career. It’s big, beautiful, probably one of the most taxing artistic projects ever commissioned, and well worth the wait to tour the chapel. One thing to keep in mind: The chapel is sweltering, humid, and crammed with tourists—be prepared to come across more than a shared appreciation for artistic talent.
—Katarina Lukich

4. Siem Reap, Cambodia
Located in northwestern Cambodia, Siem Reap is the gateway to Angkor, the ancient capital city of Cambodia. Upon arrival, drop your bags at one of the area’s world class resorts and hire a car to take you into the national park—an area marked by 1,000-year-old ruins and highlighted by the world famous Angkor Wat temple. The temple complex spans over 1,000 square kilometres and is fully accessible to tourists with the direction of a guide. If possible, travel during the wet season—bright mornings give way to rainy afternoons and bring out the vibrant greens of the lush jungle that seem to devour the ruins. Tree roots burst through the walls and thick green moss covers much of the black stone, creating a truly unique opportunity for photographers and a juxtaposition between manmade structure and nature unlike any other in the world.
—Ryan Mallough

5. Catherine’s Palace, Russia
It may be a cold place to visit on the best of days, but Catherine’s Palace in Tsarskoe Selo, Russia is one for the bucket list. Originally built as a summer home for the tsar and his family, the luxurious and ostentatious blue and white palace contains over 100 kilograms of gold crafted into the design. Marble and gemstones can be viewed all over the palace walls, but the most extravagant part of the abode is constructed entirely of amber gemstones in various sizes and shades—the renowned Amber Room. Detailed architecture and bright colour-usage add to the atmosphere of a grandiose and charming national treasure. At the very least, it is undoubtedly the nicest summer home you will ever visit.
—Katarina Lukich

6. Hvar, Croatia
The country of Croatia is a must-see destination on any traveller’s Eurotrip. Croatia is composed of over 1000 islands, all of which have their own unique charm; however, one of the most beautiful islands is undoubtedly Hvar. Spend your day walking through Hvar and admire the Venetian-influenced and beautifully constructed buildings lining its coast. Venture into the island and you will find yourself surrounded by peaceful villages and lavender fields. Take a moment to relax on the many postcard-worthy beaches and soak up the sun. At night, you can see a play in the 16th-century Hvar Theatre, take a walk along the beautiful Mediterranean waterfront, or dine at one of the many outdoor cafés and restaurant terraces. Croatia may be small, but its beauty is mighty.
—Emily Jackson

7. The Great Barrier Reef, Australia
If the beautiful weather and friendly people aren’t reason enough to get you to visit the land down under, don’t forget that the country boasts the largest—and most stunning—reef system on Earth: The Great Barrier Reef. At more than 2,600 kilometres in length, the reef has been named a United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization World Heritage Site for its unrivalled biodiversity. In the shallow seas off the Queensland coast live thousands of species of colourful, tropical fish amongst breathtaking coral. Be sure to book your trip to the Great Barrier Reef as soon as possible, as global climate change and the subsequent warming of the seas are slowly making the waters in which the reef lies unsuitable for the coral to continue growing. Whether you snorkel, scuba dive, or hop on a boat for a tour, make sure you head to Australia to see the Great Barrier Reef while you still can!
—Peter McLaren

8. The Great Wall of China, China
Located in northern China and stretching a mind-boggling 6,000 kilometres, the Great Wall of China is one of the most magnificent feats of engineering in the history of man. To fully appreciate its grandeur, take a cab ride from Beijing. As you drive along the city’s winding roads, feast your eyes on one of the most breathtaking views in the world: The mountain range and green forests that give way to miles of the Great Wall. Once at the top, after climbing a surprising amount of stairs, marvel at the 1,000-year-old structure and the manpower it took to build, while asking yourself why anyone in their right mind would ever try to bring an army up the rugged terrain or why the wall was necessary at all.
—Ryan Mallough

9. Brazil
There’s no shortage of reasons to visit Brazil before you die: Delicious food, diverse landscapes, several varieties of mangos, pay-by-weight ice cream shops, and itty-bitty bikinis. Brazil is colourful and delicious in every way, and each state in the country has its own personality. In northern Brazil, women proudly show off their curves on the beautiful beaches and in the south, the historical architecture of European settlements is adorned with artistic graffiti. Anyone visiting Brazil can’t leave before sampling a piece of pao de queijo, Brazil’s famous cheese bread, and tossing back one of their famous cocktails, called caipirinha. Despite the glorious beaches and delectable food, the most important reason to visit Brazil is the Brazilians themselves. They are gorgeous, funny, warm, and welcoming people who never leave a dancer without a partner.
—Frankie Leclair

10. New Zealand
If countless beautiful mountain ranges, rolling hills, and unbelievable coastline roads don’t entice you to visit New Zealand, then maybe this will: New Zealand is consistently named the best adventure country on Earth. The country is home to the southern hemisphere’s highest bungee jump, which allows adrenaline junkies to free fall for eight seconds and 134 metres. Looking to keep your feet planted firmly on the ground? Consider hiking through New Zealand’s countless miles of lauded trails. Often called one of the top 10 one-day treks in the world, the country’s Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a must-see for nature lovers. Located on the North Island, this trek takes you around the base of Mount Ngauruhoe, which, for all of you The Lord of the Rings fans, was featured in the film adaptations as Mount Doom.
—Emily Jackson