Uncategorized

THE LIBRARY IS great, the University Centre is bustling, and the cafés are divine, but come midterms, it can sometimes be hard to find a place on campus that isn’t swarming with studying students. If you want to find a new—and perhaps more isolated—place to hit the books, consider the following spaces on campus.

Empty classrooms. This might seem obvious, but they’re yours for the taking if you can find one that’s empty and unlocked.

The Brian Dickinson Law Library (Fauteux Hall). This works especially well if you’re not a law student—you can’t really peruse the shelves looking for something to take your mind off of whatever you’re cramming for unless tort law interests you.

Basement of Colonel By. On the edge of campus, this building has what looks like a small cafeteria with booths and tables. The only difference is other than vending machines, there’s no food available—which means students aren’t flocking to it.

The top floor of the Montpetit Hall. Take the elevator to the top if you’re looking for a bright space that few people know about. And while you’re there…

The basement of Montpetit has a 24-hour computer lab. When you’re studying for finals after 2 a.m, this will be a welcome haven when the library staff kicks you out.

The student lounges in Desmarais. It’s a well-kept secret the School of Management conceals (although they’re available to all U of O students)—the lounges make amazing study spaces.

The theatre building (135 Séraphin-Marion). This building has a study room on one of it’s top floors that’s the perfect spot for studying.

SITE. This building always has tables free, as well as quiet classrooms you can sneak into, both of which have lots of outlets for computers. It might be on the edge of campus, but that just means there will be fewer people around to distract you.

Simard Hall and the Arts Building. These two buildings are connected by a hall on the second floor that’s filled with light and couches—the perfect escape for anyone attempting to avoid distractions.

Morisset. In the basement of the library, silent study rooms provide individual cubicles for busy students to disappear into. Considering the amount of foot traffic that Morisset gets, it’s surprising how deadly quiet these rooms are.

—Charlotte Bailey