Dear Ty

I’ve started going out with this super sexy guy, and I’m head over heels. The only thing is, I’m not circumcised. I don’t really have a problem with my foreskin, but I’ve had some awful sexual experiences because of it. How do I tell my man about it without freaking him out?

—Say Hello to My Little Friend

Dear SHMLF,

While the rate of circumcision is dropping in Canada, foreskin-a-phobia is still a very common issue.

For those who aren’t well-versed in this underappreciated body part, the foreskin is a tiny flap of skin that covers the head of the penis, and protects it from the wear and tear of everyday life. In addition, the foreskin is also home to thousands of nerve endings, making it extra sensitive during sex.  

Despite these positives, there is a long cultural and religious tradition to getting newborn sons circumcised. However circumcision only became a medical practice in the U.S. and U.K. in the 19th century. Nowadays about a third of boys are circumcised in Canada.

While some researchers claim that circumcision helps prevent the prevalence of urinary tract infections and sexually transmitted infections, there is very little consensus on the issue. In fact, the Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) first published a statement not recommending circumcision as a routine procedure in 1996. They have since updated the statement to clarify all the positives and negatives of the procedure.

In terms of your love life, the best way to approach a partner about your foreskin worries is to keep it casual. I know you’ve had some bad experiences but, trust me, if you don’t make it a big deal they probably won’t either.

But you should also let your partner know that when getting hot and heavy with someone uncircumcised, they should handle the foreskin with care, because as mentioned above, it is extra sensitive—this can lead to maximum pain or pleasure.

It’s also important to remember to keep your foreskin clean, both for your own health reasons and so you don’t repel your man. Whenever you shower, make sure to gently pull back the skin and rinse it with warm water, to prevent the build-up of bodily fluids and oils, and dead skin cells, otherwise known as smegma.

While some surprise vis-a-vis your foreskin is to be expected, don’t let your partner foreskin-shame you. If he can’t learn to love your mushroom cap, then he doesn’t deserve you!

Dishing with Di: He who shall not be named

Back in the Middle Ages there wasn’t much to do for entertainment, so it wouldn’t surprise many of you to learn that the alleged foreskin of Jesus Christ became a legendary relic in the Catholic World. The holy foreskin drew many people to visit it in a city near Rome. However, over time, several imposter foreskins popped up over European churches claiming to be an authentic piece of Jesus. The Vatican forbade the mentioning of Jesus’ foreskin in the 19th century, threatening to excommunicate those who didn’t comply.