Letters

Letter to the Editor
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Dear Editor,
A quiet incident last Friday has left me frustrated. Since it’s the kind of thing that goes unnoticed, I’d like to call attention to it. I am the vice president of the University of Ottawa Students for Life club, and a team of us were putting up posters to promote an event we are hosting on Thursday. Nov. 27 in the UCU Agora. The event itself is a Silent No More Awareness Campaign, where women who have undergone abortions will publicly share their personal experience.
We had 30 approved posters throughout the (Jock Turcot) University Centre that were taken down within the afternoon.  This was not the work of a mob. It was maybe a few students; it could’ve been even just one person. Regardless, are people really this unwilling to discuss life and its value? Since when has there been a fear of ideas and conversations? On a university campus, I thought we were open to dialogue. From my experience, many students are still ready to engage and listen with respect. Yet one person is enough to shut down our club’s event promotion efforts. I am deeply disappointed that there are people who think they have the right to do this.
They tried to silence women who wish to break the silence about abortion.
These women deserve a voice as much as anyone else. For those open to listen to them express what is seldom heard when talking about this issue, they will be speaking between 3:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 27 in the UCU Agora.