Uncategorized

Photo: Courtesy of Brigitte Lefebvre-Okankwu.
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Forward’s outstanding first year rewarded in season’s conclusion

At the conclusion of an outstanding season with the Gee-Gees, forward Brigitte Lefebvre-Okankwu has been named to the U Sports Women’s Basketball All-rookie team.

She has just finished off an excellent season at the heart of her team, notably leading in points with 259, in rebounds with 142, and in field goals with 108, all that through 21 games. Her 50.2 field goal percentage was also the eighth best among all players in the U Sports.

Her best game, moreover, was undoubtedly at home against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues on January 5, where she scored 29 times and added up nine rebounds, leading her team to a 66-44 victory.

The Gatineau native earned great performances in all games she played during the season. She piled up double-doubles in a total of six games, including three in the playoffs.

Lefebvre-Okankwu shared that what worked the best for her this season was the help of her teammates. “There was a great chemistry that went on between all of us all year long, and I think that was an asset to our successful season,” she said. “For me, it was my pairing with Angela Ribarich that helped me out this season, I think we played so well together.”

“Our coaching was also really good, the staff helped us stay together and perform as a team.”

The Gee-Gees ended the 2017-18 season third in their division, with a record of 15-8, and they finished it with a one-point loss in the third round of the OUA playoffs. They will be back in action this November.