2023 saw the rise of the Stanley cup, bows and the coquette/ballerina aesthetic, chunky headphones, the Barbie aesthetic, and Eras tour friendship bracelets. Image: Kai Holub/The Fulcrum.

No shopping, while bombs are dropping

Your poli-sci prof will talk your ear off about globalization. They will tell you that the world is unavoidably interconnected. However, you won’t realize the obvious truth of this statement until it is right in front of you.

The recent boycotting efforts relating to the genocide in Gaza exemplify this concept. Consumers have trouble understanding how Starbucks and other companies relate to the Israeli bombardment of Gaza. Also importantly, consumers don’t realize their power.

In a world governed by contorted politics, the success of markets often takes priority over human well-being. Therefore, by refusing to buy certain products, consumers (everyday people with purchasing power) are punishing major corporations. This can cripple certain functions of major corporations.

In the case of Starbucks, when a huge number of individuals decline to buy items, it has an impact on the business but also sends a message that the company’s behaviour is not acceptable to the public. 

In other words, effectively withdrawing purchasing power can directly impact the health of corporations, who are powerful players in global politics.

2023 trend report

Trends come and go every year. 2023 saw the rise of the Stanley cup, bows and the coquette/ballerina aesthetic, chunky headphones, the Barbie aesthetic, and Eras tour friendship bracelets, amongst many others.

As fun as it can be to follow along with trends, ultimately, they go out of style. If you’re anything like me, you’ll end up surrounded by cheaply-made items you only wore once and an empty bank account.

The new 2024 trend is buying consciously. Looking into the companies you buy from can be a political act. As previously stated, as a consumer, what you buy is your greatest power.

It can be difficult to slow down when the media is telling you to speed up your consumption but, here are a few tricks to harness your purchasing power.

How to harness your purchasing power

1. The best consumption is none, or less.

Halting the amount you buy or who you buy it from is the basis of the boycott, divest, sanction movement. The most effective way to withhold your money from mega-corporations is to use what you already have. There are many tutorials online that explain the concept of upcycling. You can turn used items into trendy ones!

1. Thrift

You’ve definitely heard this time and time again, but if you do need to replace some clothes or other items, thrifting is a cheap, environmentally-friendly way to do so. However, this doesn’t always mean you are avoiding feeding mega-corporations. Also, consumers should beware of over-thrifting (the gentrification of second-hand prices and saturation of the market).

1. Personal style

Developing your personal style (what clothes you like and feel comfortable in) will make trends less appealing, and therefore you will be less tempted to spend your money on them. Plus, why look like everyone else when you can be something more interesting–yourself.

1. De-influencing

All these methods are a great starting point but they are time-consuming. In reality, the best way to harness your purchasing power is to resist the popular notion that you need new things, all the time. And you already do that, by being unique and refusing to give into flitting trends.

Overall, being mindful about how you spend your money is a very powerful tool that all consumers should recognize.

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.