On Sept. 8, Olivia released her sophmore album GUTS. Photo: Sanjida Rashid/The Fulcrum.

GUTS was a highly anticipated 12-track album that we can’t stop listening to. Here are our favorite songs. 

Olivia Rodrigo is taking the world by storm. From Spotify, the Billboard charts to the VMAs, she hasn’t left our conversations since her 2021 freshman album, Sour. Sour gave Rodrigo the platform that she has now, and won her three Grammys, a Juno Award  and seven Billboard Music Awards. Most importantly, she’s won our hearts and our streams. 

On Sept. 8, Rodrigo released her sophomore album, Guts. It was a highly anticipated 12-track album that we can’t stop listening to. Here some of are our favorite songs. 

“all-american bitch”

The tone of this song is incredibly fierce, and a bright light shines on Rodrigo’s true tigress. Furthermore, we can spot a massive contradiction in this song, when she clarifies why she is the ideal woman in America. She doesn’t get angry, she is light, empathetic, with hips and lips. She has it all; “I know my place and this is it!” 

“get him back!”

In “get him back!”, Rodrigo takes us through her mixed feelings, and approaches them with a strong ferocity. Firstly, she explains that she wants to be back with her past relationship. On the other hand, she contradicts this by wanting to get back at him.

lacy

“lacy” is the most underrated song on Guts. There are many speculations as to what the song is about, but many believe that she is describing an ideal woman that she feels she needs to be. She sings “I despise my rotten mind and how much it worships you.”

the grudge

“the grudge” consumes you, beautifully illustrating how Rodrigo continually tries to be the “bigger person”, how she tries to be “fine”, but she can’t. She finishes her song stating: “It takes strength to forgive but,” leaving us wondering what will happen next. Rodrigo herself might not even know what she wants to do next. Does she forgive who once was the love of her life? Or, does she say goodbye to the hopeless nights? 

teenage dream

The last song in this award-winning album does not disappoint. “teenage dream” takes us through Rodrigo’s thoughts on turning 19, and how she contrarily believes that she’s already lived the best part of her life. How now, to continue living life as it is, may not be everything everyone claims it to be, due to what happened in the before.

Rodrigo has, once again, successfully given us many more songs to cry to the night before our finals, songs to scream to when we lack sanity. Personally, we couldn’t imagine a greater gift with the beginning of a new school year. Although, we’re sure we can’t all help but wonder —how does it get better than this?

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.