Live from the Archives

Live from the Archives Illustration
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Dear Sir, 

Increasingly more apparent, at the University of Ottawa, is the inability of the students to read.  Bulletins are hung in appropriate places with the result being students complain about the lack of knowledge of activities which have been publicized for two weeks, or that they didn’t know their presence was required in a certain room, or show up for classes which have been canceled.

This is an attempt, perhaps in a round-about way to underline the recent publicity given by the two campus newspapers regarding certain NFCUS activities, the discount service in particular, which are designed to help out the students of the U of O. 

The NFCUS committee has, perhaps, been the most proactive topic of discussion on campus this year. Everyone, at one time or another, has had a reason for discarding this “leach” from the Federation. Even after the last few issues of the FULCRUM and LA ROTONDE, the accusations against NFCUS continue. Surely this must be due to the inability to read.

If our students can read, some of their questions must have been answered — the biggest being “What do we get for our fifty cents?”. If the questions have not been answered fully, surely it is up to the student to gain knowledge about what he is condemning before he does it. Is it not the duty of the student to seek the answers to some of his questions so that he may objectively judge?

Bob Winter, Comm. 4

About this article:

• Originally published February 22 1962, this article appeared as a Letter to the Editor in the 12th issue of the Fulcrum’s 21st edition.
  • The National Federation of Canadian University Students (NFCUS) existed from 1926-1969, being reorganized and renamed to the Canadian union of students in1964.