Letters

Letter to the Editor graphic
Image: Fulcrum.

I write as a concerned community member, urging our local paper to cover the unfolding tragedy in Gaza with fairness, balance and objectivity. I ask you to write about the human suffering facing millions of displaced Palestinian people, including thousands killed. Biased mainstream outlets have failed to acknowledge the horrific experiences lived by Palestinian communities, who are calling for an end to the violence against their people (many of whom are relatives).

This crisis is a continuation of the Nakba of 1948, where hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were expelled or massacred to make way for an illegal settler colonial project. Now, 2.3 million people are trapped in the Gaza Strip, and 1 million children are deprived of necessities due to indiscriminate Israeli airstrikes. Our media must cover the importance of an immediate ceasefire and a humanitarian corridor for medical aid and relief. Addressing root causes of this issue and ending the occupation and apartheid are vital roles you can help facilitate using your platform and voice.

Editor’s note: This is a letter received from dozens of addresses. U of O students can submit letters to the editor by email to [email protected].