Starting from the left: Jordan Angus, Jaycob Jacques, Ty Bradley and Ethan Smith-Johnson Photo: Matthew Osborne/Fulcrum

THE POLITICAL AND PARTISAN WORLD OF U OF O!

A lot of people on campus are unaware of the whole political world U of O has. Due to our size and proximity to Parliament Hill, the U of O is home to some of the largest political campus clubs in the country.

Today we hear from the University of Ottawa Young Liberals, Conservatives, the New Democratic Party (NDP) and the Greens all explaining the importance of campus political clubs and why you should consider joining one.

Keith de Silvia-Legault, Opinions Editor for The Fulcrum

The University of Ottawa Young Liberals

In September 2021, I was entering a new school year after having completed two semesters dominated by pandemic-related closures. I had very few friends and hadn’t gotten a full taste of what campus life could offer.

The best decision I made was to join the University of Ottawa Young Liberals (UOYL). They received me with open arms, and I was immediately immersed in a community of young people with similar values and interests to my own.

I was lucky to join during the excitement of the 2021 federal election. I found myself being driven all over the city to help candidates and engage with community members from ridings that were very rural, very urban, and everything in between.

In those hours of driving, door knocking, and socializing, I became extremely close with the UOYL, an amazing group of people at our school. It’s now been two years since I first joined and my life has changed immeasurably.

My French has drastically improved. My canvassing skills are immaculate. I’ve met many of Canada’s brightest, most principled and most hard-working political leaders. I’ve landed a very interesting and impactful job as a political advisor.

I’d like to think I’ve been part of creating positive change in my community. But most notably, I’ve entered a network of people across the campus and the country who are embarking on a myriad of journeys to make this country a better place. That’s what joining a political club has done for me. Imagine what it could do for you?

Ty Bradley, President of the University of Ottawa Young Liberals

The University of Ottawa Young Conservatives

The University of Ottawa Conservatives is one of the largest political clubs at U of O.

We are affiliated with the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC), and the Ontario Progressive Conservative’s Party of Ontario (PCPO). Our affiliation gives us the unique opportunity to work closely with both Parties on things like events and networking opportunities that we are able to pass down to our members.

The University of Ottawa Conservative Club is dedicated to promoting conservative values, such as lower taxes and freedom of speech on campus.

Our executive team and our members are passionate individuals who foster debate with many other students and organizations on campus to create a healthy dialogue.

Our executive team is a diverse group with many different passions and views. This helps us appeal to any student on campus that would be interested in learning more about the conservative movement.

We are also committed to working with a variety of other clubs at the University of Ottawa that represent a wide array of passions and cultures.

Jordan Angus, Vice President of Social Affairs of the University of Ottawa Conservatives

The University of Ottawa NDP

For U of O’s incoming first-year students, 101 Week is an overwhelming time of new friends, subjects, and settings. For clubs on campus, this is the time when they get the vast majority of their new members and when events have the most exposure to students.

101 Week is also when the politically-involved on campus get to see the apathy of our generation on full display. “What difference could I possibly make?” is the reply I get the most when encouraging peers to get involved.

Too often people assume that individuals cannot affect real change by themselves; that political engagement is a fruitless endeavor in the face of large-scale issues like climate change or the housing crisis. However, that couldn’t be farther from the truth.

This past year I’ve watched young people fight tuition increases, rally for climate action and mobilize – successfully – against anti-transgender protestors. Many of these students weren’t experts on the issues, or veterans of community organizing, yet they got it done together.

In my own life, the people I do my activist work with are my friends and my community. We break bread, celebrate each other’s accomplishments, and motivate each other to continue our work.

U of O has many politically engaged clubs, partisan and non-partisan, with opportunities for students to get involved on and off campus. These clubs are important spaces to meet friends and make positive change.

Apathy is easy, but community and hope are so much more fun.

Ethan Smith-Johnson, Co-President of the University of Ottawa NDP

The University of Ottawa Greens

When deciding what to volunteer for as I was kick-starting my studies, I wanted to get involved in something that intersected my interests: politics and environmentalism. I volunteered with the Ottawa-Vanier Greens and soon found myself involved with the U of O Greens as it was reviving from a hiatus.

The University of Ottawa Greens are a hub of student-driven change! While we’re associated with both the Green Party of Canada and the Green Party of Ontario, we cherish our unique identity. I was drawn towards the Green mission to create a sustainable, affordable, and education-accessible future.

As a member, you can explore opportunities through activism, volunteering and participating in initiatives that can enhance your political and/or advocacy career. I’ve learned so much within the past year with the Green Party and I am excited for the future of the party.

Some of our events include socials, canvasses, and clean-ups throughout the year. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment that embraces members from all backgrounds, uniting under shared beliefs and aspirations. I believe youth are the catalyst to change, and we look forward to changing our future for the better.

Jaycob Jacques & Chana Mucher, Co-Presidents of the University of Ottawa Greens

Authors