Femme fatale says goodbye to green mile

TWENTY-SIX YEARS AGO, Memphis wife and mother Gaile Owens was charged with hiring a man to murder her husband. After spending over a quarter-century awaiting her death, Owens has been released from prison, securing her release after a long history of good conduct. According to the Associated Press, the murderess is looking forward to enjoying being a grandmother and giving back to her community. Is Owens’ story an inspirational tale of a sinner turned sweet, or does the idea of a hit man-hiring granny roaming the streets strike you as odd?

Psycho psychic

A PALMDALE, Calif. woman is being charged with extortion after intimidating a 12-year-old girl to steal approximately $10,000 worth of jewellery from her parents. The woman, who targeted her daughter’s schoolmate in order to make some quick cash, claimed to be a psychic and needed the jewellery in order to break a curse on the child. After searching her home, police found that the accused, Jackeline Lopez, outfitted her entire garage as a pseudo-psychic’s studio—complete with cauldrons and fake human skulls. Is the woman worthy of the insanity defence, or frighteningly aware of how easy it is to manipulate a child?

He’s back, Austria

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER SPENT some time in his native Austria recently to celebrate the opening of a museum built in his honour. Adorned with a larger-than-life sculpture of Arnie flexing his legendary muscles, the museum features paraphernalia from the various stages of Schwarzenegger’s celebrity. Items on display include the former bodybuilder’s first barbell, full-size Terminator suits, and some artifacts from his stint as governor of California. Does the opening of this museum attest to the triumph of a Hollywood icon, or more so to the fact that the small town of Thal is desperately in need of some tourist activity?

DIY terrorists

TWO POLISH MEN are being charged after bombing several IKEA locations and attempting to extort exorbitant amounts of cash from the furniture giant. Though there were no fatalities, a sizable amount of furniture was damaged in the attacks. After IKEA reported impressive annual sales, the pair devised a plan to get an $8-million cut of the company’s profits. Is this an ingenious plan on the part of the Polish working-class terrorists, or a horrifying example of a turn for the worst in extortion?

Care to comment? Tell us what your opinion is in the comments below.

—Jaclyn Lytle