Photo: Marta Kierkus.

After a stellar year for the Gee-Gees women’s rugby team that resulted in a national bronze medal, they will say goodbye to one of their most influential players in recent years.

Irene Patrinos has steadily established herself as one of the most important senior members of a fledgling Gee-Gees team, and her calming influence from dead-ball situations will be sorely missed.

For Patrinos, who has been with the Gees since the 2011 season, 2015 was by all means a career year for the star fullback. With her veteran leadership, she helped the women’s rugby team to an undefeated regular season in which they scored 421 points and allowed just 48 all year.

The Mississauga, Ont. native, currently finishing her Science degree, elevated her game to a level which is turning heads nationwide. Her production on the pitch made her one of the Gees’ most powerful weapons, as the team utilized her stellar defence and precise kicking to wear down their opponents.

Patrinos was also the Player of the Game in the Gee-Gees’ bronze medal drubbing of Concordia, converting five extra point attempts and scoring three tries of her own.

This season saw Patrinos’ contributions to the game get acknowledged with a slew of personal accolades.

5thyearfile_rugby2_WEB

Patrinos celebrates the Gee-Gees’ RSEQ championship this season. Photo: Marta Kierkus.

She was a first-team All-Canadian, and featured on both the Canadian Interuniversity Sport Championship and Réseau du Sport Etudiant du Québec all-star teams. In her final season with the Gees, she undoubtedly capped off an immense career with a landmark year to be remembered by.

After the season, Patrinos was given the opportunity to represent her country as she was selected to the Maple Leafs 15s team and traveled to England to participate in tournament against other national squads.

This may not be the last time the Gees star will wear the red and whites, as she was named on the long list of players to vie for a spot on the women’s national team.

Given Patrinos’ contributions since 2011, it will be hard to replace a monumental player like her, but the Gees must find a way if they want to replicate their last season’s record-breaking success.