Other

Gee-Gees earn nine medals at OUA track and field championships 

The Gee-Gees track and field team cleaned up Feb. 22 at the OUA (Ontario University Athletics) championships hosted by the University of Windsor.

Rookie Emma Galbraith won a gold medal in the women’s 1000 metre event, with a time of 2:49.92

Devin Biocchi won the gold in the men’s 300 metre race, with a time of 34.33 seconds.

Third year sprinter Segun Makinde, who represented Canada in the London 2012 Olympics, came home with two silver and two bronze medals.

The men’s 4×400 metre relay team of Segun Makinde, Michael Robertson, Gabriel Tesfaye, and Devin Biocchi earned third place in the event, with a time of 3:19.22.

Second-year hurdler Deyvani Biswal won a bronze medal in the 60 metre hurdles, breaking a personal record with a time of 8.56 seconds.

Third year Hubert Chevrette Belisle earned a bronze medal in the men’s pentathalon, qualifying for the CIS (Canadian Interuniversity Sport) Championships in March.

Overall, the Gee-Gees men’s squad placed fourth in the OUA Championships and the women’s squad placed fifth.

Maclaine Chadwick 

Lucky number 13 for swim team at CIS championships

The University of Ottawa sent ten athletes to the CIS swimming championships, held at the University of Calgary from February 21-24.

Taylor Moore captured the bronze medal—her first CIS medal—in the 200 metre backstroke with a time of 2:11.93.

Both men’s and women’s teams placed thirteenth in their respective 400 metre medley relays, as well as placing thirteenth overall.

Maclaine Chadwick