The Fashist

HALLOWEEN HAS ALWAYS been my favourite non-statutory holiday. With the awesome parties, sugar overload, and creative costumes, it’s the only celebration of the year where looking scary is a good thing. If you’re sick of seeing the same old pillow sheet as a ghost costume or all the vampire costumes—and want to stand out from the crowd this All Hallows Eve—then keep on reading. Here are a few budget-friendly ideas to help you celebrate in style without having to rely on recycled costumes.

Group costumes

Group costumes may be difficult to coordinate, but the pay off is worth it. They can also be cheap if done right. There are a variety of things to choose from, whether you and your friends prefer to dress up as the cast of the Wizard of Oz, or the Spice Girls—you can even go as your favourite kids cartoon ensemble. One of the most amazing costumes I’ve ever seen was a group of people dressed up as Tetris pieces, and it cost only $5 each to make.

Costumes you already have

If you’re pressed for time and need to whip up a decent Halloween costume, then just take a peek in your closet; chances are you already have the necessary things to make a kick-ass outfit. Ladies, if you have a bubble gum-pink dress and white pumps, you can go as Barbie. If the iconic doll isn’t your thing, you can recycle your old prom dress—or any dress for that matter—and go as a risen-from-the-dead prom queen; you’ll just have to buy a sash and use a lot of fake blood. Guys, grab a dark suit, white button-down shirt, a pair of dress shoes, and some sunglasses out of your closet and go as James Bond.

Pop culture inspired

These types of costumes can be more expensive and time consuming than other choices, but hilarious. Whether you parody Justin Bieber, Snooki, or Lady Gaga, it’s not hard to figure out a quirky and unique outfit for Halloween. If you want to be more original, choose an obscure pop culture reference like Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction or Cher from Clueless. Sick of Twilight? Go as a Twi-hard (Twilight die-hard fan). Buy a cheap T-shirt from Walmart with Edward’s or Jacob’s face on it and carry around a poster from the movie. Just be sure to burst into spontaneous screams should you choose this costume.

The fashion victim    

If you look great 364 days of the year, then why not go as a fashion victim on Halloween? This costume is perfect for those last-minute costume hunters. Just put on clothes that don’t match and make you look awful—basically do everything opposite of what this column usually tells you to do. Wear bright pink leggings, a trashy wig, blue eyeshadow—do whatever, just make sure it looks terrible.

—Sofia Hashi